Pigeons

Telemark

5 year old buck +
Anyone keep pigeons? Seems like it might be easier than keeping chickens. I'd like to build a house or tower for them and would appreciate any info/experiences people have.

Gotta ask y.

The things r annoying here.
Have eaten a few when dove season is in.
Not high my list of preferences.

I kept a few for training bird dogs.

Gotta ask y.

The things r annoying here.
Have eaten a few when dove season is in.
Not high my list of preferences.

I think they are delicious, plus other benefits. Eggs, meat, and manure, all from a free ranging animal I don't have to spend any money on. I don't live near a city, so they would have to forage in what is essentially farmland and suburbs. A lot of neighbors have bird feeders, and one crazy neighbor feeds everything from sparrows up to seagulls.

So you want to build a house, let pigeons take over, harvest manure, then periodically go out and kill one for dinner? Sounds like a great plan to me! Hell.... I do the same for species that I have zero interest in ever eating such as purple martins and eastern bluebirds. Go for it!

I think they are delicious, plus other benefits. Eggs, meat, and manure, all from a free ranging animal I don't have to spend any money on. I don't live near a city, so they would have to forage in what is essentially farmland and suburbs. A lot of neighbors have bird feeders, and one crazy neighbor feeds everything from sparrows up to seagulls.

Next time you prepare some u should post it in the what's for dinner thread.

Always looking for another recipe to try. And from the looks of your previous dishes, I'm sure it would be good.

Next time you prepare some u should post it in the what's for dinner thread.

Always looking for another recipe to try. And from the looks of your previous dishes, I'm sure it would be good.

Haven't had any since last time I was in Vietnam. They deep fry them and then dip the bits in a salt/pepper/lime slurry. I shot a couple in Arizona a few years ago and made them with rice and mushrooms.

We shoot a lot of them and keep and clean them, always have. We cook them same ways we cook doves...they taste just like big doves.

When I was a kid, at my grandparents farm, if we would shoot them, my grandma would cook them. She would cook them like turkey, or a chicken in a roaster. They are a little drier, so she would butter the skin, and pour chicken broth in the bottom of the roaster. One per person, with potatoes, and a side vegetable. Would I purposely go out and shoot them, clean them, and cook them? Probably not, being I can just go to the store and buy a full chicken for $2. Would I cook them if I was to shoot some, forsure! They were pretty good eaten!

My son and a friend catch them to see to bird hunters. The keep them in an old corn crib the converted to house them.

I had a buddy in high school whos family had a pigeon coup in the front yard. I never paid much attention to it or asked to many questions but I'm guessing they are like any other bird house.

My dad raised pigeons for most of my child hood. He had several kinds but raised them for shows. No you might ask what happened to the ones that weren’t show quality. He had two sources to send them. One fellow pigeon buddy ate them so he would occasionally take a sack home. In the later years a dog club took them to train their dogs. If memory serves me right he specialized in Bald Headed pigeons. Dabbled in fan tails. My favorite were the rollers. They had there own coop and we be let out as a flock. They would fly really high and then tumble down. Once in a while one would do a suicide roll off the house roof. I never understood the pigeon thing. Looking back it probably had some thing to do with PTSD from Vietnam. He doesn’t talk to people much, I think he just liked being alone with his pigeons, it was his therapy. I should probably ask him about it but in 44 years he has still never mentioned Nam to me. Anyways, pigeons are cool.

I think I will wham one up from pallets and whatever scrap I find around and see how it goes. If it works, I will invest more time and money into a proper coop or tower.

used to shoot em with a pellet gun as a kid. But never saw the draw from em. Filthy rat birds. :D