Phone, travel question.

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Odd place to ask this question but i'm not sure where else to go with it.

My wife and I won a trip from my employer to Ireland in July for 10 days. However we have straight talk phone service and they don't do anything in Europe. My one thought is download a application to chat on via wifi connection at the hotels like a 'textnow', 'pinger' etc....

I know I can't make phone calls but I'm not sure what other alternative ideas I can come up with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can Skype anywhere with wifi. You can also use Skype to call any U.S. number, for a few bucks a month. Use it the month you are there, and then cancel if you want. Worked well for me from various locations in Europe.

Bring along an unlocked GSM phone and pick up a vodafone SIM card.

Oh ok, good idea Chris.

Bring along an unlocked GSM phone and pick up a vodafone SIM card.

Vodafone, are those readily available over there or would you buy one online before going?

Check on getting something similar to a Goggle Voice number. I use an unactivated cell phone to make wifi calls, send texts, and browse the internet, no cell carrier needed and it doesn't matter who the original carrier of the phone service was, I use a Verizon Samsung Galaxy phone. I use a couple apps called Ring-To and Groove-IP together to get texts and calls, but you must have a wifi connection, it is not cellular service.

enjoy the trip.. leave the phone at home.

Vodafone, are those readily available over there or would you buy one online before going?

You should be able to order online.

I didn't know Ireland had white-tail deer. July seems early for a season but maybe it's the more northern climate that causes them to rut earlier. Why else would you go to Ireland?!?!?!:D

For the Guinness and the Jameson! And maybe even a cute little fiery, redheaded girl!;)

For the Guinness and the Jameson! And maybe even a cute little fiery, redheaded girl!;)
You can get those here. Pick the right pub and you can get them all in the same place and easier to get thru customs!!!!

You can get those here. Pick the right pub and you can get them all in the same place and easier to get thru customs!!!!

Speaking from experience, something about drinking Guinness and Irish whiskey in Ireland makes it taste a bit better.

BV, WiFi calling should be fine. Should be able to use hotels and coffee shops.

He will be on vacation - EVERYTHING tastes better on vacation!

He will be on vacation - EVERYTHING tastes better on vacation!

That was probably a factor for me :D! But I am guessing Guinness while on vacation in Ireland tastes better than drinking Guinness on the beach in mexico ;).

If you have a iPhone or iPad use FaceTime. I used it when I went to Mexico and Japan. Just need wifi

Ireland's beautiful