Persimmon or Plum?

lazy_turtle

Yearling... With promise
First summer with the farm. It’s loaded with persimmons which are all green, but I noticed two trees with red fruit. My phone app says plum.

Attachments

• IMG_6352.jpeg
    IMG_6352.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 67
Plum. 100% Native will have to tell you the variety…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree,anyone have american plum?Mine have been the size of dimes last couple years since they started fruiting.Will they get bigger?Also I have probably 20 persimmions and I found fruit on 1 a couple years ago but nothing since.turtle,how big are your persimmions that have fruit?

I agree,anyone have american plum?Mine have been the size of dimes last couple years since they started fruiting.Will they get bigger?Also I have probably 20 persimmions and I found fruit on 1 a couple years ago but nothing since.turtle,how big are your persimmions that have fruit?

My persimmons are roughly an inch in diameter. Maybe slightly larger

My persimmons fruited for the first time last year. Maybe 6 persimmons on it and it was around 1.5" in diameter. This year it is loaded and we are in a terrible drought. I am impressed.

interesting... I just noticed fruiting trees this year (had property for two years) and see golf ball sized green fruit. Will have to see if they turn red.

With the frost and dry this year I didn't have many buds on anything so maybe next year

We drove down the road last night and noticed all of the plums are full of ripe fruit. They are just hard to see what they are green I guess. They do pretty good no matter the weather. Very good plant.

I wish I had luck growing either.

I wish I had luck growing either.
No doubt. I've had Wild American plums from MDC planted for nearly a decade and haven't seen a fruit yet. I wonder if there's any chance they sent me some rogue variety.

No doubt. I've had Wild American plums from MDC planted for nearly a decade and haven't seen a fruit yet. I wonder if there's any chance they sent me some rogue variety.

Really? They grow in the ditch here. It seems 2-4d makes them fruit. When the farmers spray them they go wild.

T are you talking sandhill plum shrubs or american plum trees?

I just with plums, haven’t cracked how to get the seed to sprout.

the persimmons I don’t think can tolerate flooding, or drought, never tried seeds, only bare root and home depot hydroponics deal.

T are you talking sandhill plum shrubs or american plum trees?

I think they are American plum, but I’m no expert. Comparing them on the Kansas Forest Service website they seem more American. I planted some sand hill in my back yard and I do think they are different than the ones in the ditches.

The leaves look just like my chickasaw plums.

I’ve got plums and persimmons all over the place I have to control them in areas or they take over completely if left unchecked.

I found some plums near Seattle to try to plant.

only one persimmon on the place is still alive.