perhaps a glyphosate shortage coming

willy

5 year old buck +
Just passing along some info a farmer friend of mine told me this weekend. " I may want to buy my glyphosate now as his agronomist told him they didn't know if glyphosate would be available next spring" Don't know the whole story behind the reason but perhaps there may be some truth in it. I figure it can't hurt to buy it now as long as I keep it from freezing. It is a big tool in my crp management and food plots.

This is from the Bayer website:
Long-Term Risk-Mitigation Actions

As part of the five-point plan, the company will also take additional steps to help close the door on this litigation and ensure that any claims brought by individuals who use Roundup™ in the future are few in number and unlikely to succeed. These measures include that the company and its partners will replace its glyphosate-based products in the U.S. residential Lawn & Garden market with new formulations that rely on alternative active ingredients beginning in 2023, subject to a timely review by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state counterparts. This move is being made exclusively to manage litigation risk and not because of any safety concerns. As the vast majority of claims in the litigation come from Lawn & Garden market users, this action largely eliminates the primary source of future claims beyond an assumed latency period. There will be no change in the availability of the company’s glyphosate formulations in the U.S. professional and agricultural markets.

Here is something else from Bayer regarding their 5 point plan:

"2. While the Company will remain in the residential lawn and garden market, it will immediately engage with partners to discuss the future of glyphosate-based products in the U.S. residential market, as the overwhelming majority of claimants in the Roundup™ litigation allege that they used Roundup™ Lawn and Garden products. None of these discussions will affect the availability of glyphosate-based products in markets for professional and agricultural users."

Source: https://media.bayer.com/baynews/bay...ively-address-potential-future-Roundup-claims

My question is this: I own a farm. Will I still be able to walk into Tractor Supply and buy a 2.5 gallon jug of Gly?

It says it will still be available for "professional and agricultural users...." Give me the details of what this means......

And, how long before this transfers over to the other glyphosate prodoucts? I don't buy Roundup branded gly. Are the other companies that make gly products going to do the same?

Fine with me, not a fan of blanket spraying fields anyway..

Drought, glyphosate shortage, slaughter backlog, what's next? Auto steer satellites going to get hacked and shutdown?

Here is something else from Bayer regarding their 5 point plan:

"2. While the Company will remain in the residential lawn and garden market, it will immediately engage with partners to discuss the future of glyphosate-based products in the U.S. residential market, as the overwhelming majority of claimants in the Roundup™ litigation allege that they used Roundup™ Lawn and Garden products. None of these discussions will affect the availability of glyphosate-based products in markets for professional and agricultural users."

Source: https://media.bayer.com/baynews/bay...ively-address-potential-future-Roundup-claims

My question is this: I own a farm. Will I still be able to walk into Tractor Supply and buy a 2.5 gallon jug of Gly?

It says it will still be available for "professional and agricultural users...." Give me the details of what this means......

I assume they will make it a product you need an applicators license for thus attempting to eliminate access by non-ag custoemrs.

I assume they will make it a product you need an applicators license for thus attempting to eliminate access by non-ag custoemrs.
This is how it has been in Canada for some time, at least in Ontario. You need to be a registered farmer to purchase Roundup. A growers pesticide safety coarse is required for more regulated products.

And, how long before this transfers over to the other glyphosate prodoucts? I don't buy Roundup branded gly. Are the other companies that make gly products going to do the same?

I doubt we will see generic glyphosate disappear from the market until demand vanishes. Large companies with other big profitable business lines like Bayer, need mitigation plans to protect the rest of their business from the ambulance chasers. However, there will always be smaller companies that don't have that issue. They will continue selling it as long as demand persists and before they get big enough to be worth going after, they will just close their doors, sell there assets to another company.

I can see price volatility as Bayer and others get out, but I don't see a shortage. Demand is falling as gly-resistance is becoming a problem in many farming areas. Liberty-link is a new combo that will take a lot of the market.

Thanks,

Jack

Curious about this…. I realize there may not be a perfect alternative allowing you to spray and plant the same day, but as a thought experiment, help me come up with a plan PRETENDING glyphosate no longer existed.

Im not an herbicide expert but could you spray 2,4d and clethodim and then wait a week to plant? (Planting brassica and rye/pea/clover type plots). What better options am I missing to burn down but minimize the amount of time you have to wait to plant?

negative for sure on the 24d application and then plant broadleaves.. It has a residual for a while after spraying.

Curious about this…. I realize there may not be a perfect alternative allowing you to spray and plant the same day, but as a thought experiment, help me come up with a plan PRETENDING glyphosate no longer existed.

Im not an herbicide expert but could you spray 2,4d and clethodim and then wait a week to plant? (Planting brassica and rye/pea/clover type plots). What better options am I missing to burn down but minimize the amount of time you have to wait to plant?
Plan on getting your weeds under control for next year. Over seed ALL of your plots with 100+ #'s of winter rye this fall. TNM 100# of buckwheat into the rye next year. Plant fall plots. Repeat.

negative for sure on the 24d application and then plant broadleaves.. It has a residual for a while after spraying.

I did include a week of waiting to plant, I thought that was about the length of the residual? I’m thinking this theoretical gly shortage will be a bigger issue on putting in NEW plots, vs maintaining existing plots

That subject is far bigger than a single post or single thread can contain.

What has worked well for me is a Liberty generic I found at Rural King. I was concerned about ground residual effect, but Bill, who uses it a lot, said he had no issues planting the same day. I tried it and was able to plant WR, PTT, GHR, CC, Buckwheat, and Sunn hemp all the same day so far without negative impacts. This herbicide is linked to GM crops like gly, but I'm not planting any LL crops yet. I'm just using it for burn down. The generic version is a little more expensive than gly, but it smoked problem weeds like marestail for me. It is much faster acting than gly for me. It is probably a little less effective on grasses, but much more effective on some problematic weeds. It can be tank mixed with gly. 24D won't do much to grasses but it will kill some broadleaf weeds that gly will not. I don't find it as effective when combined with gly as a liberty generic. It was much less effective on my marestail issue.

Like anything, the best fit herbicide depends on your specific weeds and planting techniques.

Any time I talk about herbicides, I want to make this disclaimer. For farmers, any plant growing in his field that he did not plant is a weed because it reduces his yield. For deer managers and hunters planting attraction plots, many plants that are weeds for farmers are as good as or better nutrition for deer than what we plant. They are also a free addition to the diversity of our mixes. While there are problematic weeds that may need dealt with using herbicides when they dominate a field without control. However, for most of us, especially for cool season plots, many weeds can be a welcome addition to a plot.

Thanks,

Jack

Merit Seed told me they were down to their last pallet of 5 gallon cases. Said the Co-op was 3000 gallons behind.

I bought my 5 gal and slipped into the ether.

No shortage for me. I put 15 gallons in the basement today at $39 per 2.5 gallons......

About $52 per 2.5 gallon of 41% gly today at local RK. I put a few in the cart.

We really don't need to think about a future with no glyphosate. There is a past where there was no glyphosate. In my view - just my view - glyphosate made us stupid managers. Got a problem? Spray glyphosate. Prior to it, in play less so now, and perhaps again in the future, we have considered, do consider, and will consider ALL means of weed control where it is meaningful. Maybe our definition of 'meaningful' gets more focused?

What are those means / methods? Cultural, mechanical, and chemical.

Above 'Fanatic posted, "Plan on getting your weeds under control for next year. Over seed ALL of your plots with 100+ #'s of winter rye this fall. TNM 100# of buckwheat into the rye next year. Plant fall plots. Repeat."
That's cultural. Plan your plantings. Right crop at the right time.

Mechanical? Think of a hoe, the kind you hold in your hands. It's got a blade on the bottom you use to cut and disturb. Just wanted to be clear of the meaning of hoe. Of course there are other mechanical devices easier to use. Tractor required. Don't come up out of your chair, Jack! More tillage anyone?

Thinking about chemical control, prior to glyphosate, one had to consider a multitude of factors to select and use the right herbicide. What's the desired crop? What weeds need to be controlled? The ability to identify the same is/was/will be important. Are they monocots (grasses) or dicots (broadleaf). Do you need to get ahead of the game by applying pre-merge herbicides (applied before seeding) or are there post-emergent herbicides available? Are they soil applied or do they need to be applied to the leaf surface of an actively growing weed - at the right stage of growth.

It's not the end of the world. But, I too think glyphosate is here to stay. There will be some twists and turns. Perhaps some restrictions and just maybe someone will come up with a more viable product that will do the same thing. Maybe they already have.