Pears 11 miles apart after late freeze

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
First at Farm and second at home. Apples in both places look like they fared well.

kGD3qda.jpg

7tCxAhz.jpg

That is very interesting information Native. Maybe, just maybe that is one of the reasons that there are over 3,000 wild apple trees growing on this property and only 35 wild pear trees. That wouldn’t make me give up planting pears but it sure does encourage me to keep diversity in mind. Or could there be any pears trees out there that has fruit that did survive that freeze In the eleven mile loop?

That is very interesting information Native. Maybe, just maybe that is one of the reasons that there are over 3,000 wild apple trees growing on this property and only 35 wild pear trees. That wouldn’t make me give up planting pears but it sure does encourage me to keep diversity in mind. Or could there be any pears trees out there that has fruit that did survive that freeze In the eleven mile loop?

I like your way of thinking Dave. I think diversity is definitely the key. Chestnuts, persimmons and sawtooth oak are almost a sure thing here every year but the leaves were burned off on all of them. Will be interesting to see if any try to fruit when they grow leaves back. Never seen anything like this so not sure what will happen. I find it amazing that apples did much better than the others. Some had set fruit at the time and others were in bloom. Looks like still a good crop of apples and leaves were not hurt at all.

Chestnut leaves:

XOY3KnO.jpg

Persimmon Leaves:

v556dVa.jpg

Last edited:
I remember seeing this happen here to White Oak one year. 2008 maybe. Nothing else was effected badly but White Oak leaves were burnt. It was late June or early July before leaves grew back. No acorns that fall either. I'm not sure how wide spread these effects were but the 30 mile trip I made each day to work showed the same results. The small leaves turned black then fell off. The trees sat defoliated for close to a month before greening back up. It was interesting to observe.

I remember seeing this happen here to White Oak one year. 2008 maybe. Nothing else was effected badly but White Oak leaves were burnt. It was late June or early July before leaves grew back. No acorns that fall either. I'm not sure how wide spread these effects were but the 30 mile trip I made each day to work showed the same results. The small leaves turned black then fell off. The trees sat defoliated for close to a month before greening back up. It was interesting to observe.

It got the native oaks here too. I would say that there will be no acorns this year, and that will make food plots more important. It's interesting how badly some trees were hit and others show no effects at all. Paw paw was another one that got noticeably hit. I don't recall ever seeing paw paw leaves burned off.

58A45BD1-1DC1-420B-B1EE-1EA30F980046.jpegE61FE093-AF0F-469E-9877-07E0F6CD459B.jpeg
I call your 11 miles and raise you 40 feet. Trees 40 feet apart one zapped to hell from the 2 day freeze the other no noticeable issues.

The extreme fluctuation in temperatures is a bigger culprit than the hard freeze. We had a earlier variety apricot that is 3 years old it bloomed and was well leafed out and then it went from 80s to mid 20s .... fried the heck out of it. It is starting to show a little new life, but I am having doubts it will pull through. The other things that got "fried" at that time have already shown good recovery.

Native, I think you're close enough that they're calling for another freeze on Friday evening in North Central KY. It's been a rough start to this Spring for trees!

Native, I think you're close enough that they're calling for another freeze on Friday evening in North Central KY. It's been a rough start to this Spring for trees!

Yep another one coming. Keep your fingers crossed.

The temp swings here have slowed our trees waking up but have been great for mushroom hunting.
It is strange how trees seem so different in separate locations. I know a lot of it has to do with soil and rain and sun but it does leave me scratching my head sometimes. I’ve got a pair of Spitz planted thirty feet apart same rootstock same grade planted same day both good growers and healthy but one is twice the size of other.
I also have pretty much the same varieties of fruit trees planted at our places five miles apart straight east to west both direct sun but orchard to the west is always a couple weeks behind east budding and blossoming?

Native, it’s always impressive to see how much further along your stuff is seasonally than here with you just being a couple hundred miles straight south of me. I bet you end up with a month or better of growing season than I get.