Park like vs hinged and clear cut

I just finished nocking down a good sized patch of timber myself today and was thinking the same thing. I never plan on selling, but if need be I was thinking if it would negatively affect the property. I sure hope taking down some of that timber will do me some good. Have you guys that have hinged near roads have good luck getting deer to bed in that location?
Near roads? Meaning car roads or atv trails? Anything near trails I have hinged for screening not bedding.

I would not go out of my way to encourage actual bedding within 75 yards of a road, to prevent putting deer in harms way of getting poached or hit by a car.

Near roads? Meaning car roads or atv trails? Anything near trails I have hinged for screening not bedding.
More of a driveway, road was a bit of an exaggeration. I hinged some for screening from the driveway and some farther back in for bedding hopefully. It was a spot with open crooked timber that typically just saw nocturnal travel.

Brooks-what species of trees did you clearcut?

My popple clearcut came back really thick. Brich clearcut is briars and grasses and soon to get clumps of spruce and balsam.
Mostly ash, with a few maple and basswood mixed in. There were no popple in the clear cut my bucks hang in.

I did another 2 acre clear cut on my small piece and about 30 acres (5 diff spots) on my big piece that will see its 3rd summer of growth this year. The big piece has some that was popple that has exploded and other hardwood areas where regen is very slow.

Hinging to improve cover and bedding is important to me; however, I am focused on clearing out the weed or trash trees like ash, elm, etc. I also focus on releasing the oaks so there is not as much competition around them.

In many of the areas I am hinging, I will be going in this spring and planting conifers. That along with light getting to the forest floor should be a big improvement.

My neighbors can't understand why I am doing what I am doing; then again, they are always complaining about no deer and little bucks. I just smile and tell them I need the exercise & firewood.

Do you guys think resale is improved with the deer sign or does it scare some that we go nuts on perfectly good trees. Anybody ever made any cash buying low, improving the deer herd and selling?

Regarding re-sale, always hard to anticipate what folks want. My realtor buddies tell me most people think "good deer hunting land" is high ground with lots of mature woods. They are looking more at the esthetics than understanding what good diversified habitat will do.

Deer sign helps, but you have to have tangible results too. Good collection of sheds, trail cam pics, and several mature trophy class animals on the wall sure prime the pump.

Then again, sometimes the most ill informed have the most cash to part ways with ...

I just finished nocking down a good sized patch of timber myself today and was thinking the same thing. I never plan on selling, but if need be I was thinking if it would negatively affect the property. I sure hope taking down some of that timber will do me some good. Have you guys that have hinged near roads have good luck getting deer to bed in that location?

I do not hinge along roads with the expectation of bedding. I hinge to screen from prying eyes and guys shinning. I also have watched deer that run across the road onto my property, slow down and relax once they cross onto our property.

I hinge in a horizontal line parallel to the road and I think that provides a sense of security for the deer, usually 40-50' from the road.

Hinge a ton, plant food and tons of conifers and when it comes time to sell, drop a stack of mature bucks and doe kill pictures on the table. Won't have an issue.

Some will get it, some won't. That holds true for any property. I learned along time ago what I see as "pretty" from a property standpoint is far different than what my wife's idea of "pretty" is. My wife likes the park look, I like the "no way I'm going in there" look. My wife doesn't want things to touch her in the woods. If I'm not get scratched, tripped, smacked in the face, have my hat pulled off or wet - something is wrong. The park look may appeal to a wider market, but to the right person they will grossly appreciate the work you have done - especially if they are looking for something more turn-key from a hunting perspective.