Paint Not Sticking to Concrete

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
Spent a lot of time in the heat and sun yesterday painting a basketball court onto a concrete pad. It was a surprise for my son when he gets back from camp. Let it dry 15 hours and I was the one who go surprised. It didn’t stick at all. I put four coats on it, so maybe the first coat wasn’t dry yet? Any other help would be appreciated. I am both really pissed I wasted all that time and sweat and really disappointed for my son. Thanks for any help.

Tried to post some pictures, but it won’t let me.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was it new concrete? smooth finish? usually concrete (like garage floors) needs to be acid etched for paint to stick.

What he said; what was your surface prep?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Agree with the acid etch. Do you have a vapor barrier below the cement? May be moisture moving up into cement from the ground.

Stains and paints can be two different things as well.... and what they consist of, water based oil based.... how fresh is the concrete (cure time) ... was it painted before or sealed. Removing any surface sealant with an acid etch and your prep is likely the problem and from there it would be maybe what you used - maybe it was not the right application could be a bunch of things.

In would also question what type of paint did you use?
not all paint is the same
they sell special paint made just for concrete
and how clean was the concrete before applying paint to it?
as that matters a bunch as well!

Sorry for the delay, but the problem was solved with parking lot paint. Thanks for the input.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk