Ozone

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
This isn’t a thread about whether you believe in the use of Ozone as a part of scent control or not. I believe in it based on my experiences using it religiously in the stand for 4 years now. I’ve recently started using ozone as part of a scent control process back at camp. I have a closet and ozone generator setup that seems to work very well. I know there have been issues he reports of ozone breaking down rubber and elastic (exposed rubber/elastic I suppose) over the course of time but I haven’t been using it long enough in this fashion to have any problems yet. A couple questions for those of you who use ozone in a closet/bag/trunk/etc to neutralize odor in your clothes:

1. How long have you been using ozone on your clothes/gear and have you had any issues with damage to anything?

2. How frequently do you treat your gear? Right I treat anything I’m wearing the next day for 30 minutes the night before or 30 minutes the morning of my hunt.

Curious what you all do. Thanks for any responses.

Thomas

I have a locker with all of my gear, and a generator. I agree it definitely helps. It's also my first year for it, so no idea on longevity. Bill has been doing it with little to no damage.

I have a soft sided 6x12 shed with a 3500 mg/hr unit in it. (It draws fresh air from outside through the generator to make ozone)

In our third year with it now. We threw caution to the wind and it runs for 4 hours a night and 4 hours midday.
It isn't just treating clothes for that days hunt. It's a clothing storage shed. Which means some clothes get treated 4 hours, twice a day for about 25 days. Neoprene muck boots, rubber coated binoculars, video cameras, grunt tubes everything gets hit. And believe me when you come out of that shed dressed you smell like an ozone scent wafer.

Last year some of the elastic waist bands on really old long johns went. I blamed age or ozone? This year I'm seeing more waist band breakdown on scent lock base layers but thier 5 plus years old. Age or Ozone? I don't know....

No breakdown on anything else at this point. I'm going to keep doing as we have been until I see real negative effects.
But that's me, use at your own risk :)

Last edited:
I have had more breakdown of elastic items on closed spaces and also cheap items. Also if you don't give it fresh air after treating. I run it into a tub for 10 minutes then open the tub and waive the lid to give it some fresh air. I have ruined 4 binoc harnesses and Elastic cuffs on several of the rag wool gi liner gloves lately. Slow learner on the harnesses just thought they were wearing out on the first 2 second 2 I forgot to open the lid after treatment.

I bought my first ozone generator in 2005 before it was common knowledge about degrading rubber and before they had made their way into the hunting industry. It was a jenesco model and I would let it run for hours on end. I ruined all kinds of crap with that scentlock suit winter Columbia bibs dryrotted a pair of burlys in 4 months. Expensive first lesson but didn't realize it until years later. From my experience on most of the elastic it wasn't cumalitive it was fine 1 day and after a treatment it was not.

I forgot to add I also treated my truck before just about every hunt for 10 years and never saw any damage internally. I also have a 4x6 closet built into my shed that I run something like what bill has. No I'll effects after 2 years I do run a fan with it also

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. Thank you.