letemgrow

5 year old buck +
10 for $10 shipped.

0d70866d14e4e07e6f1293a99c72d5ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll take you up on that offer.
You use PayPal? Mail a check?

I am interested as well.

If you still have any available I believe I’ll take some to try.

They’re waking up now from cold storage.

04275ce8d452adb8adb8618f2c137e59.jpg

PXL_20230222_202435151.jpg
I put nine of them in pots and put them in my mud room, thinking it would be too cold for them to germinate. I started seeing some emerge in early December and eventually gave in and moved the pots under some grow lights. This was last week.
I tried saving some for direct seeding by not putting them in soil but had read several accounts that they are very difficult to keep over winter. I ended up putting all of them in some media to germinate. I'd say there was around 95% survival (so far) of the ones you had sent me. Thanks again!

I got my 5 from the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation again this year so hope to have some diverse trees planting those each year.

I got my 5 from the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation again this year so hope to have some diverse trees planting those each year.
Are you direct seeding yours or getting them started indoors first?

Are you direct seeding yours or getting them started indoors first?
They suggest direct seeding but i got about 10 inches out of them last year. If i dont do better than that this year i will try starting indoor going forward.

If there are any still available for sale I would like to buy 10. I sent you a dm.

They suggest direct seeding but i got about 10 inches out of them last year. If i dont do better than that this year i will try starting indoor going forward.
I have watched just about every single video from the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation. It sounds like they get really good growth out of them in the first year in a tree tube. I am nervous about leaving them to the elements by direct seeding, even if I tube them. Keep us posted how they do with the direct seeding.

I have watched just about every single video from the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation. It sounds like they get really good growth out of them in the first year in a tree tube. I am nervous about leaving them to the elements by direct seeding, even if I tube them. Keep us posted how they do with the direct seeding.
Will do. I cut a section of tree tube to 18 inches and then put a wire cage around to protect from deer. Ive had really good luck doing this with chestnuts but was pretty disappointed with the chinquapin growth. Hopefully it goes better this year. Would be cool to have several years of trees from the foundation cross pollinating.

I’ve planted them in tubes and it works well. The beauty of fall planting is you don’t have to babysit them nearly as much as the trays. This pic is fall planted American chestnuts in one and Ozark chinquapins in the other.

ac14c691634d3e818fe5a77f5971f67b.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve planted them in tubes and it works well. The beauty of fall planting is you don’t have to babysit them nearly as much as the trays. This pic is fall planted American chestnuts in one and Ozark chinquapins in the other.
Do you protect the seed beyond just the tube for the fall planted chestnuts?

Do you protect the seed beyond just the tube for the fall planted chestnuts?

Once they get close to exiting the tube, I put the fencing material around them at that time.

They don't get anything else in the fall when planted but the tube.