OUST XP

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I had a tree nursery tell me to spray Oust XP on the red cedars and hardwoods that we just planted. Said it'll kill the grasses but won't hurt the trees. Anyone have experience with it? These aren't fruit trees, Just wanna kill off the competition for a year or 2 to get them up and growing.

Just talked with the guy we rented the tree planter from, and he wasn't familiar with Oust. He suggested if we're gonna get dry this summer to let the grass grow and turn to briars. I'm afraid none of them will get the light they need to get up. So I wanted to nuke the grasses and let these trees get up. But He thought we may be doing more harm than good. Now I'm conflicted.

I’ve used Oust XP around Norways and also oak trees. I try and spray around the tree and not on the tree but, I’m sure a lot hits the trees. I’ve only ever sprayed when trees are not budding out and usually in the fall. It’s quite potent as I only mix 2-3 ounces Oust in my 15 gallon sprayer. It has a residual of at least a year or more so it stays in the ground a long time. I would also note if there’s any kind of slope it will work it’s way down the slope over a years time so be careful if there’s other things down stream. I normally would use Simazine and ProwlH2O with Cleth in the spring and then follow up with the Oust in the fall. This creates pretty much bare ground around trees Year round. After 3-4 years I discontinue as the trees can handle a little grass and brush after that.

I’ve used Oust XP around Norways and also oak trees. I try and spray around the tree and not on the tree but, I’m sure a lot hits the trees. I’ve only ever sprayed when trees are not budding out and usually in the fall. It’s quite potent as I only mix 2-3 ounces Oust in my 15 gallon sprayer. It has a residual of at least a year or more so it stays in the ground a long time. I would also note if there’s any kind of slope it will work it’s way down the slope over a years time so be careful if there’s other things down stream. I normally would use Simazine and ProwlH2O with Cleth in the spring and then follow up with the Oust in the fall. This creates pretty much bare ground around trees Year round. After 3-4 years I discontinue as the trees can handle a little grass and brush after that.

That is the combination that Paul Knox wrote about

I recall that he specifically wrote NOT to use OUST on fruit trees. Im not sure why

bill

Never used it. Just read the Dupont EPA registration - the label. It should be the first thing you do (for your own benefit) if you are even thinking about using it. Should you decide to pursue the idea you might consult a professional forester for advice and opinion. Oust XP sounds great for its intended purpose and it likely is. There are a lot of factors that need to be addressed for successful use. Oust has multiple modes of action improving its performance. It also opens the door to unwanted results - or no result at all. If your of the mind to believe mixing and spraying a herbicide is a simple matter this is probably not for you. If you will due your homework and then understand the lessons - and know how to apply those lessons - you will probably be pleased.

That is the combination that Paul Knox wrote about

I recall that he specifically wrote NOT to use OUST on fruit trees. Im not sure why

bill
Yep