Options for fall crimping/mowing/running over

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
I have a few small (1 acre or smaller) plots that I would like to try a no-till approach on for the fall. In one field, I have about a half acre of short buckwheat (max 12-16" tall) that I would like to seed a brassica blend into. I want to know should I just: seed into the buckwheat, mow it, run over it with a small hare with the teeth up, or just run over it pretty well with a 4 wheeler. There is a fair amount of dirt to be seen, as the deer ate alot of the buckwheat. There is a little bit of grass, but not a ton.

In a second field, I have about a half acre of crimson, alsike and aberlasting clover that is pretty thick, but has lots of weeds. My plan is to plant winter rye and some ladino into this field and then mow it low. I would put the clover in about mid August with 50 lbs of rye, then mow, then plant 50 lbs of rye in late August.

Finally, I have a few other small fields of clover that I would like to add brassicas into for fall attraction. I was thinking of spreading the seed, then cutting them low with a weed whacker or brush hog in mid August. I know the clover will come back, but really want to get the brassicas going for fall attraction. I don't really want to spray, but have the ability if you all think it will help.

Thanks in advance! I very much appreciate all of your input. I am located in North Central PA if that helps.

Seed into the Buckwheat with your brassica seed in mid August, mow it and spot spray with Roundup on the part you got grasses /weeds then drive over it with your quad to pack the seed in. You don’t need to cover brassicas with soil since it’s a very small seed. Time it right before a good rain. Brassicas love urea so i would put 75lbs out on your 1/2 acre plot the day it rains ( before it rains). You should really take a soil sample to check your P&K too. Make sure it’s a half inch or more of rain coming within 2 days when you put Urea (46-0-0) down or else you will be wasting your $$ on it.
As for the clover plot, I would just leave. Try to mow it to help with the weeds and grasses. 2/3 clovers are perennials so they will come back next year. I don’t know how much growth you will get out of broadcasting Winter Rye into it. If your not getting seed to soil contact with the Rye, you are wasting time and money. You can also use herbicides to spray your clover plot to combat the weeds. You can also broadcast more clover seed ( a touch on certain areas)in August( for the following spring).