Opinions of and Experiences with Log Splitters

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Hey guys...I am going to be buying a log splitter in the next few weeks. I've used borrowed machines before, but I've never owned one. I've done some research and before I buy I thought I'd ask for your experiences...pros and cons. I do about 4 or 5 cords of firewood a year..mostly red maple, black cherry, yellow birch, paper birch.

Are there serious pros and/or cons of the following machines:
1) tow behind hydraulic splitter
2) kinetic splitter....like the the Super Splitter
3) 3 point splitter using tractor's hydraulics

Thanks in advance.

The Super Splitter is expensive, but well worth the money. It makes splitting large quantities of wood almost fun. Saves your back also.

I don't know the name I have but I bought it for like $1400. I think it's a 22 ton ram that can slice throw twisted knotty oak, elm, hickory that I've thrown at it. Being able to go vertical is huge. So is automatic return.

I've used tow-behinds for years. Goes anywhere - no other equipment needed. Go for one with option for vertical splitting ..... saves lifting logs onto splitter. Auto return is a big plus. 22 ton ram will split anything. I've done mountains of oak and hickory, maple, hop-hornbeam, ash. No problems with a 22 ton ram. - - - Not familiar with a Super Splitter.

I rent one from a reliable mom & pop rental for $45 / weekend. I can split for 10 years and only have about $500 in cost !! And the rental place is right down the road from my camp.

A tow behind get you places you can't get with a tractor and it's cheaper to run. I had one years ago that used a tube for the main frame and the tube also served as the oil tank. This thing was a beast and would handle anything I put in it. It was made somewhere in MN by a guy who was just starting up a business. Sorry I don't know the name. What I did at the time was took a piece of the nastiest piss elm I had and used it as a test piece. Several brands wouldn't split it but the one I got went through it like butter. I'd also look for one that switch between horizontal and vertical splitting, your back will thank you. Good luck.

If you have to get a horizontal one, get one with a large table to catch the halves rather than let them fall on the ground after the split. I use one that is about tail gate high. Role log onto it, split it several times, throw pieces back into truck. Nothing lands on the ground and you never have to stoop to pick up wood. I also like to have the ram be the pusher rather than the wedge. If the ram pushes the log the split pieces goes past the work area, if the ram has the wedge then the pieces are in the way.

I have a American made Brave and love it. Absolutely love it. Very well built and the ram is faster than most I've seen out there which makes cycle times much less. Has a Honda engine which makes it more reliable.

Here is a short video I took.

^^^ Great looking machine but the opposite configuration of what I prefer. I know it's all about preference but I like the wedge to be stationary and to have the ram push the wood through the work area. BUT, I do a lot of hedge splitting and it sticks to the wedge a lot. If your ram is the pusher then the wood isn't stuck to it and you can put a second log on to finish the first piece that is still stuck to the wedge.

Like I said; 6 one way and half a dozen the other, it looks like you have an awesome machine either way!

Thanks for the great input. I'm keen on the Super Splitter, but it doesn't seem like it's set up to be towed easily onto my land along trails. Maybe great for the front yard, but not so great for the back 40. Thanks again. You've given me some things to think about.

I have found that they are pretty worthless until they get to be about 12 or 13 years old at least, and do yourself a favor and get one of the big sturdy ones from a Scandinavian country, those smaller-framed, less beefy ones from south of the border or asia just are not going to hold up long term.........

I have found that they are pretty worthless until they get to be about 12 or 13 years old at least, .

Thanks wiscwhip. Do mean that early 2000's and older models are better?

I was speaking more towards the "manual" type splitters that only have one moving part in the form of a wood-handled 8lb splitting maul.;):D

Natty - Do you need Whip to demonstrate that manual tool on a couple cords for you AT YOUR PLACE ?? Dangerous tools should always have a lengthy, thorough demonstration by someone with experience and knowledge of the use of said tool !! ;) :D

I was speaking more towards the "manual" type splitters that only have one moving part in the form of a wood-handled 8lb splitting maul.;):D

That's funny. That went clear over my head! Got it. Yep, my boy is only 5. Got a few more years.

That's funny. That went clear over my head! Got it. Yep, my boy is only 5. Got a few more years.
;)I thought I might have thrown you for a loop there, until Bows made his post, then I knew you would figure it out.:D

I have one of these: http://wolferidgemfg.com/wolfe-ridg...od-splitters/28_ton_high_output_log_splitter/

I had him paint it safety orange and I named it Orange Crush - yes I'm a total geek.

He's a really good guy based out of his house in Eau Claire, but has many years of industrial welding under his best and his work is top notch, I can attest to that, we was laid off from fabricated oil equipment and decided to start this.

The loader eliminates the need for vertical operation and is a total back saver with any size logs, catch table is cool, etc.

He does each one custom so you pick all your components and options and paint color. I've put at least 10 full cords of mostly red oak through mine and you wouldn't even tell it's been used.

^^^ That thing has exactly all of the features I was trying to describe (the one I use even has the same loading lift). The one I use is home built but VERY similar to it.

I have one of these: http://wolferidgemfg.com/wolfe-ridg...od-splitters/28_ton_high_output_log_splitter/

I had him paint it safety orange and I named it Orange Crush - yes I'm a total geek.

He's a really good guy based out of his house in Eau Claire, but has many years of industrial welding under his best and his work is top notch, I can attest to that, we was laid off from fabricated oil equipment and decided to start this.

The loader eliminates the need for vertical operation and is a total back saver with any size logs, catch table is cool, etc.

He does each one custom so you pick all your components and options and paint color. I've put at least 10 full cords of mostly red oak through mine and you wouldn't even tell it's been used.

Thanks for the post. Looks like a great machine. Orange Crush...love it.

That's a heck-of-a-rig for working up your wood. Nice options. Not for occasional wood burners !! That's for the serious guys. :)