Opinion on fertilizing brassicas

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have been going to hit my brassicas with some more urea, but we just have not had rain in the forecast when I was around to do it. The got about 30 pounds of Nitrogen when planted and all the Potash and Phosphorus they could possible need. Actually, it was fine and the additional was really for beans in the spring :).

My question: At what stage do you just say hey they are too far along to do any good. All are 60 to 90 day maturity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there not yellowing and bulb growth is decent why bother..

Brassicas love nitrogen. About 75 lbs per acre. I fertilize mine with urea 46-0-0 or ammonia nitrate 34-0-0, at planting, and hit them again at the 3-4 leaf stage (1 month) with a good dose of 34-0-0 or 19-19-19 and they will explode with some generous rain. Not sure when you planted or how big they are but if you want to grow a quality crop with some Great tonnage then hit them with some 34-0-0 or 19-19-19 right before a good rain, you won't regret it.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    957.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    932.3 KB · Views: 62
If the soil is very dry now, just some rain would stimulate soil microbial activity and give the brassicas a boost. That said, if the plants have not matured yet, a little extra nitrogen will not hurt. But also consider, decreasing daylight, the plants need the sun and moisture to utilize any available nitrogen. So the sooner the better.

Brassicas love nitrogen. About 75 lbs per acre. I fertilize mine with urea 46-0-0 or ammonia nitrate 34-0-0, at planting, and hit them again at the 3-4 leaf stage (1 month) with a good dose of 34-0-0 or 19-19-19 and they will explode with some generous rain. Not sure when you planted or how big they are but if you want to grow a quality crop with some Great tonnage then hit them with some 34-0-0 or 19-19-19 right before a good rain, you won't regret it.

BBCoach that is a hell of a decoy you have set in that foodplot! Does it ever scare any deer away. As for the fertilizer, thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That decoy is a Big hindrance so I have to run that guy off from time to time. Here's another PIC showing his rack.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 43
Not sure what he'll score but can't say that I've ever seen a rack that wide! He's gotta be atleast a 25yr old.