Online Seed Sources

trapperm

A good 3 year old buck
In the spirit of our DIY and neighborly group I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread of online by the pound seed sources that we’ve used. Being raised in southern Mn I’ve often consulted Albert Lea seed. I think they’re a pretty good resource for folks like us.

I’ve often checked
Albert Lea Seed - https://alseed.com/

Deer Creek Seed - https://www.deercreekseed.com/

Seed World- https://www.seedworldusa.com/

Look forward to hearing what the others have to suggest. One thing in common seems to be shipping being pretty high no matter where you go.

Trap

I'll let you google up to get the links
But I have bought from these folks over the years and been satisfied.
In truth, (knock on wood) I have never had a bad experience with any of the online seed suppliers I've bought from over the years.

OK, with that said, you may want to take a look at these folks:

Welters --- in Iowa. Wide variety of stuff. Their catalog needs to be used to get familiar with it, it's a tad chopped up. But I've always like their planting-rate info. They ship prompt.
Merit ---in Ohio. Have an informative catalog and a user friendly price sheet. They do small pre-set packaging at a reasonable price. Bought from them last year and was quite satisfied.
Hancock --- in Florida. I've bought from them only twice before, when they had killer deals on Japanese Millet. They don't always have that. But I check with them each season.

I have used merit, deer creek and grandpa rays...merit is great for straight clover and I have used a few of their mixes with good success...have never used anything from GRO that did not do well with proper prep...deer creek uses some rye grass in some of their mixes which I don't love but the mixes that I used from them worked ok

I'll let you google up to get the links
But I have bought from these folks over the years and been satisfied.
In truth, (knock on wood) I have never had a bad experience with any of the online seed suppliers I've bought from over the years.

OK, with that said, you may want to take a look at these folks:

Welters --- in Iowa. Wide variety of stuff. Their catalog needs to be used to get familiar with it, it's a tad chopped up. But I've always like their planting-rate info. They ship prompt.
Merit ---in Ohio. Have an informative catalog and a user friendly price sheet. They do small pre-set packaging at a reasonable price. Bought from them last year and was quite satisfied.
Hancock --- in Florida. I've bought from them only twice before, when they had killer deals on Japanese Millet. They don't always have that. But I check with them each season.
I second Merit and Hancock. Both are great.

I have purchased a lot of seed from Welter and more recently, Merit. Excellent product and service from both.

Almost forgot - also great service and seed from Northwoods Whitetails.

When I can't find what I want locally, good sources are:

- Welter Seed
- Merit Seed
- Green Cover Seed

Haven’t purchased yet from Green Cover Seed but I have looked at a lot of their videos. May try their seed some this year.

Haven’t purchased yet from Green Cover Seed but I have looked at a lot of their videos. May try their seed some this year.

It's a great source. Excellent germ rates and extremely low weed seed. I highly recommend.

Has shipping always been this high on seed? I
seem to find rates at like 15-25$ for a normal seed order.

Northwoods charges 18.95$ shipping on a 4lb bag of plot screen that retails at about 25$.

Their yearly soil health periodical is also a good read

bill
Yes it is TD. They sent me one last year and I found it very informative. Will have to ask for the most recent issue.

I've bought from Northwoods Whitetail before, and did order plot screen this year. Good seed and very helpful with questions. Shipping is the hard pill to swallow. I have been watching a reading many videos from Growing Deer TV and Green Cover on their release process and it makes sense in my mind. Once again though, you pay a premium to get it shipped to you. With all that being said, I just made a purchase from Albert Lea Seed because I can drive there and pick it up. I purchased some of their cover crop mixes as I need to build organic matter and it seem similar to what I can get at Green Cover. Time will tell!!

Welter Seed in IA and Elk Mound Seed in WI. Both great to work with.

I use Elk Mound Seed. I make a trip down there once a year as it's only 45 minutes from my house but they do sell online.
https://www.elkmoundseed.com/

I got some AG coop near me, but they close before I get out of work......

outsidepride has been good to me over the years.

Tempted to buy a 50lb bag of clover. Would take me 2 years and frost seed to use it up. Just got to commit to one type of clover......

Also, not online. But, I buy whole feed oats and test the germination myself. Saves me alot of money versus food plotters 3x the price bag.... I had one bum bag out of maybe 25 or so. I really test it just for a confidence builder....... Birds are happy with that 1 bag though.......

I've used Welter's for about 7 or 8 years now. Never a problem. In looking at their 2022 catalog on the back cover, Welter's will pay half the shipping costs on grass seed, forbs, and small-seeded legumes on orders of 50 lbs. or more. They do not pay half shipping on grains. Just a FYI.

I’ve used Welters many times but, they have no online ordering or catalogue . You have to call them directly or through their catalogue

Used Welters last year and using again this year. Good service and variety, and fast shipping.