One size fits all

Rit

5 year old buck +
I have been reading lately about spraying fruit trees. The info on the interwebz seems to be all over the place.

I have already been planting disease resistant varieties with crab apples and did what I could with the pears. I had some fungus issues on the pears this year and some of the apples leaves had spots. Anyone have a one size fits all spraying routine that would cover both pears and apples? Perhaps there isn’t even a thing. I am just looking for something simple to get me pointed in the right direction. I live on the property with my trees so spraying X amount of times isn’t really a concern. Not sure if I should be spraying to prep them for winter or early spring etc.

I started planting fire blight pears and CAR resistant apples and don't spray anymore.I used to spray Imonox for CAR

Dormant oil mixed with permethrin before leaf out is considered pretty universal. Avoid spraying during bloom so you don’t kill your pollinating insects. The rest depends on how much time you want to put in. I’ve seen guys say they spray every 2 weeks or every 2 inches of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rit
The thing is local climatic conditions and disease pressure from other established trees in your area affect the amount of disease issues you have. Where some folks can get by with little to no spraying, conditions in some areas are probably going to make it tough to do so. So IMO there is no sure fire minimum program that covers everyone. You can build a spray program to cover the worst of the conditions but then you probably are just throwing time and money away.

I started planting fire blight pears and CAR resistant apples and don't spray anymore.I used to spray Imonox for CAR
I’ve done my best to stay away from any trees that are susceptible to CAR. I have a fair amount of cedars.

The thing is local climatic conditions and disease pressure from other established trees in your area affect the amount of disease issues you have. Where some folks can get by with little to no spraying, conditions in some areas are probably going to make it tough to do so. So IMO there is no sure fire minimum program that covers everyone. You can build a spray program to cover the worst of the conditions but then you probably are just throwing time and money away.
That is what I figured that conditions would dictate. My pears seem to be getting insect and fungus pressure. I had some crab apple trees die off but not sure what killed them. I suppose I need to get better at identifying issues. It may have been fire blight as I continue to read up on fruit trees. All three were next to each other.