Old Hen of the Woods?

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
I was walking along the edge of the woods and this kind of stuck out at a distance...I think it might be a Hen of the Woods I missed seeing last fall and it turned a weird light green neon color?

YD2Y82P.jpg

Did it grow out of the log? I've only found Hens growing from soil at the base of trees. But I'm not real experienced with hen's either.

Did it grow out of the log? I've only found Hens growing from soil at the base of trees. But I'm not real experienced with hen's either.

Yes, it sure looked like it did.

I only see them growing from logs.

95AA9AB4-4B0C-43D7-9570-5FA0029EB2C8.jpeg

I'll bet those are all Chicken of the Woods. I've never found one of those but I keep an eye out for them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wish I would have spotted the old ones early last fall, I sure would have tried them.

This may be a dumb question but are they only good at certain times of the year? Or is it just the size of them when picked.?

This may be a dumb question but are they only good at certain times of the year? Or is it just the size of them when picked.?
Yes, different mushrooms have different growing seasons.The mushrooms in the pictures are "chicken of the woods" not "hen of the woods". Chickens have a longer season and can be found from summer to late fall. They will pop up quick and grow fast,they should be a bright orange like the ones in the picture. Hen of the woods start growing in Sept-Oct and almost always at the base of oak trees. Size doesn't to much but smaller chickens are more tender. The older bigger chickens can get woody.

Here’s some photos for reference: hen of the woods-
07c41326f7c5d6a38bb8da2a1076cbcf.jpg

16ef6a1a62fc2611f12470328f8887ed.jpg

I only find these after mid September here in Northern Indiana.
4518c8f5dd40ca1beb2e5c30d757ea6e.jpg

Here’s that look of chagrin when you find a log full of chickens about 3 weeks too late...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only see them growing from logs.

View attachment 22726
those are definitely chicken of woods and not hen. We get tons of those. Key is get them earlier than later. As time goes on they get almost stemmy/stringy/woody with more bugs. Get them early and they are tender! They taste great!