Old fence work

Bill

Administrator
Spent the day working on old cast iron fence. Well taking it apart. The cast pieces slide over 3/4 square stock. Took 3 guys to load each section it's so heavy. The square stock was pretty bent because someone picked sections up with a FEL and they bowed. I was alone to unload so it was a day with the angle grinder and ballpean hammer.

Trailer is half empty here.
image.png

Turned out to be a 3 tee shirt day!

My son sent me this kid which summed it up pretty well. :)

What are your plans with it?

I always get myself into these darned projects. Plan is to redo it and use it. I sand blasted a section, painted it, quick gold highlights. Not sure I like those and the flower needs different colors. But after another zillion hours I'll have a cool front yard fence.

image.png

the original probably used lead crush washers between the tabs, I wouldn't re use them, not with kids anywhere near by.

the original probably used lead crush washers between the tabs, I wouldn't re use them, not with kids anywhere near by.

Probably but their long gone. Haven’t seen any. It’s been reworked a few times. No clue how old it is.

Looks good Bill. You should paint those to look like Thistle or MaM flowers....NOT.

You got more patience than me my friend. It would be black....and that is IF you could find a way to talk me into it in the first place. It appears to be in pretty good shape from what you show..... should look real nice when your done.

I love your intention to repurpose this wonderful old fence. My guess is that it is from the first part of the 20th century, 1900 to 1920. I did a lot of buying and selling antiques in my younger days. The ornate style seems to me to fit into that time period.
You have a lot of work ahead of you but will have a unique and beautiful fence when you are done.

I love your intention to repurpose this wonderful old fence. My guess is that it is from the first part of the 20th century, 1900 to 1920. I did a lot of buying and selling antiques in my younger days. The ornate style seems to me to fit into that time period.
You have a lot of work ahead of you but will have a unique and beautiful fence when you are done.

Thanks for the estimate on the date. I really had no clue. I'm a junker that's for sure. I can't drive by a thrift store or junk seller without at least looking.

100 degree heat index so I'm not working today. Got lots to do. Found the sandblaster takes to long. I'm using paint stripper followed by a pressure washer. Hand painting was also to much labor. I built a quick rack and broke out the auto spray gun.

It's going to the right spot. Don't know if you've ever heard of the place but if you google image search Cape May historical houses you'll get a feel for the neighborhood.

image.pngimage.png

So this project got stuffed in the corner when hunting season started. I managed to find a foundry that’s still casting posts. Problem is they come in 4 pieces. Post is split length wise as is the cap. They all need welding together and mounting hardware added. I’m no welder but getting an advanced course in the fact that cast iron melts much faster then steel :(

I only ordered two posts to try it out. Kinda getting the knack, so I just ordered more.

DA5C0AE5-48E6-4A73-899E-C95FD8921274.png

Judging from the mountain laurel in the summer pix - this is at the Jersey place right ?? Nice look to the fence !!

That can't be easy to weld! I think I may have tried JB weld :)

It's going to look great if you don't go crazy first!

-John

Judging from the mountain laurel in the summer pix - this is at the Jersey place right ?? Nice look to the fence !!

Yep south Jersey. Wish I had some mountain laurel in MO. It the easiest way to make a deer trail. Cut paths through the laurel and they will use them. I read it grows via cutting once but wouldn’t dare introduce it at my place in MO. No value other great for making trails.

That can't be easy to weld! I think I may have tried JB weld :)

It's going to look great if you don't go crazy first!

-John

Trust me JB weld went through my mind:emoji_slight_smile:

Regular weld rods run me about $18 to $20 for 10lbs. Nickel rods for cast iron are running me about $38 a pound:emoji_fearful:
So sloppy welding costs.....

Thanks for the estimate on the date. I really had no clue. I'm a junker that's for sure. I can't drive by a thrift store or junk seller without at least looking.

100 degree heat index so I'm not working today. Got lots to do. Found the sandblaster takes to long. I'm using paint stripper followed by a pressure washer. Hand painting was also to much labor. I built a quick rack and broke out the auto spray gun.

It's going to the right spot. Don't know if you've ever heard of the place but if you google image search Cape May historical houses you'll get a feel for the neighborhood.

View attachment 20287View attachment 20288

Bill ... looks great! I love refurbishing old stuff. Bringing something back to life is pretty cool.

I have often found that buying used can cost more than new once you are finished ... :emoji_smirk:

I have often found that buying used can cost more than new once you are finished ... :emoji_smirk:

Me too...
But I never seem to learn :emoji_frowning:

Well that job sucked :emoji_grin:

Posts ended up being about 80 lbs each. Not a flat or square spot on them so I had to eyeball each one with a plumb bob. Hand post hole digger to boot...

Giving the concrete a few days to dry before hanging all the weight of cast iron on them.

3EDB2013-242E-4098-9094-D37A4903B19D.jpegED93F503-D30F-4921-8161-B2A4D1F85053.jpegFC626ED4-96EC-4E2C-BEFC-AF6CC5F1C82F.jpeg

Love the sidewalk. These days brick or paver patios and walkways are all the rage. Looks like people knew years ago that it was the best way. Very classy looking.

Be sure to tell your wife to give out your number when people ask where you had the work done!

I can't imagine how much time that took. But it will look great when you are done.

-John

Looks great Bill. Looking forward to seeing the final pics. Lot of hard work right there!