Old Barn Fur Photo

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I was able to take a 2 week, working vacation for the first time in a lot of years. Started on November 27th and had most everything pulled on December 11th. About 1,200 miles on the pickup. I have to admit the first week had a few hiccups and I started to doubt why I was doing it. However, by the end of the second week I was wishing I had more time! Numbers wise this is the best 2 week coyote line I have ever run as a private trapper (I was a government trapper for a number of years). Besides the critters in the picture I trapped another 7 coyotes that were too mangy to keep, around a couple dozen coons, 6 beaver, 2 badgers, 1 possum and 1 skunk along the way. The barn is on a farm that is now owned by my mom but has been in our family since the 1870s which is when this barn was likely built. The barn will likely be torn down this summer and I have always wanted to get one of the traditional barn shots with a trapper and his catch. My daughter has a photography business and I told her for Christmas I wanted to spend a afternoon with her and get some photos (she would probably frown knowing I posted this one as she hasnt worked her magic on the pictures yet, but I was anxious to share one!).barn2 (3).jpg

Great picture and great job. That would be an incredible 2 weeks. Got any project ideas with the barn wood planned?

Super pic and great haul on the fur !! Nice background for the fur shot. Where are your buckskins, long beard and smoke-pole ?? !!!!

We could sure use you at and around our camp area. Yotes are WAY too plentiful and pix of the dogs on our game cams show they are fat and thick-furred !!

Great picture and great job. That would be an incredible 2 weeks. Got any project ideas with the barn wood planned?
Yes we will save as much of it that is usable. Always have projects we can use barn wood for. I want to incorporate a bunch into my next house and shop.

Way cool Turkey!

What kind of sets do you run? Leghold, snare cables, bait, lure, trails, etc...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's cool.
You can come do that at my place!

Great picture Turkey Creek!

Is that old barn a timber frame?

Great picture Turkey Creek!

Is that old barn a timber frame?
No I wish it was. It is kind of scary what the framing looks like inside! I was almost a little afraid to lean the ladder against the wall to put up that top row. The west side has a big bow in the wall. Lets just say it wouldnt meet code today on the framing! Everything is rough sawn, but not timber framed. Lots of square nails holding the boards on. Trees were very few and far between when this barn was built. Most houses at the time in this area were built from sod. I have old pictures of a couple of those.

Love the bobcat pelts! Just curious, do you ever see dark yotes in your neck of the woods? Mixture here is darn close to 50 / 50 dark vs tan.

Love those fur shed pics. Looks like you enjoyed yourself! Haven't trapped in several years and would love to have the time again. That old barn wood is like gold in our area, brings a pretty penny. I have seen some incredible stuff done with it.

That's awesome!

Flat out AWESOME!

LOVE it! Sounds like a GREAT time! GREAT haul! That will save a lot of wildlife. Cats are beautiful.

Good job and nice pic

Great job TC ... a lifetime pic to hand down over the generations ... very cool!

Way cool Turkey!

What kind of sets do you run? Leghold, snare cables, bait, lure, trails, etc...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the compliments and likes guys!

Mostly foothold traps, flat sets with commercial bait and lures. A few were snared. I do have video clips (though the quality isnt great as I used the Ipad to film them) that my son said he would help me edit together into a short video at some time. It wont be a how to video more or less just a scenery and a little commentary video.

Our coyotes vary a lot color wise in this area. Most of them are pretty light colored, but we do have some pretty dark ones. If I get a chance before I sell maybe I will pull some out for just a sided by side comparison. I noticed on this picture they all kind of look on the brown side. My daughter said when she edits the pics she can adjust the colors.

You obviously know your business. Wish more people still trapped.

Way to go TC! What are yotes and bobcats selling for in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can see a bit of color variation even without the picture edited, but I might should have asked if you have any "black" yotes vs merely darker coated ones.

We truly have what's darn close to a black variant, and ours are either typical tan or darn close to black without too much variation in between.

Did a bit of reading up on it today, and sounds like black ones are more common the further east you get in the U.S. The coyotes don't seem to care about the variation... when I get more than one on camera, almost always a pair consisting of a black onerunning with a tan one.

Here's a video of a black one I got on camera a while back. If you lived a bit closer, I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to help you add a couple of black ones to the barn! :emoji_thumbsup:

I was able to take a 2 week, working vacation for the first time in a lot of years. Started on November 27th and had most everything pulled on December 11th. About 1,200 miles on the pickup. I have to admit the first week had a few hiccups and I started to doubt why I was doing it. However, by the end of the second week I was wishing I had more time! Numbers wise this is the best 2 week coyote line I have ever run as a private trapper (I was a government trapper for a number of years). Besides the critters in the picture I trapped another 7 coyotes that were too mangy to keep, around a couple dozen coons, 6 beaver, 2 badgers, 1 possum and 1 skunk along the way. The barn is on a farm that is now owned by my mom but has been in our family since the 1870s which is when this barn was likely built. The barn will likely be torn down this summer and I have always wanted to get one of the traditional barn shots with a trapper and his catch. My daughter has a photography business and I told her for Christmas I wanted to spend a afternoon with her and get some photos (she would probably frown knowing I posted this one as she hasnt worked her magic on the pictures yet, but I was anxious to share one!).View attachment 16163

Did you ever trap any wolves for the government?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk