Off Grid Generator

gwm

5 year old buck +
We had the field engineer from local electric co-op out to the property today to see how feasible it was to get electrical to our property. He's not entirely sure they would put the lines in, and if they did, the cost is way more than we want to spend doing it. This wasn't a surprise to us but we wanted to make sure before we went to an off grid alternative.

This is a pole barn build with living space that will be used almost every weekend, with a few week stays along the way, from early spring thru hunting season. Our living space is going to be 750 sq. feet with one bedroom and bathroom. We're thinking stove, fridge, microwave, coffee pot, heat (woodstove), AC, well pump, hot water heater and lights. We're thinking propane appliances but will need a generator to power the others.

We're leaning towards having the local co-op set a propane tank and setting up an off grid propane generator. I'm not sure what brand or size yet. Does anyone have any experience with off grid generators to recommend a set-up or brand? Any issues or things they would do again or differently? Is the generator the best choice over solar?

I hear ya on the cost, NY dropped 6 poles for us, and charged a top dollar, but once we got our CO within 2 years, we got 80% of the money back, not sure if WI does anything similar. Nice big roof? solar/ battery array, sold back to the power co when not in use, plus generator for high usage/ dark days on end.?

be ready for another shock, cost to drill a well for water, or do cisterns in ground under slab?

No experience but joining the thread to listen in.

As far as well drilling cost, it will of course vary depending on how deep they gotta go - ground water 40 ft below or 600?

Solar option could be an option. I don't know anything about it though.

I already have the bid for the well drilling - estimate 402'.

lucky, we were stuck with 630, surface water all junk, dirty, thats ok, wanted to get below anything near the farm water leach, cows just up from us.
one thing we screwed up was going with on grid power, doubled our taxes. something to look into for sure.

no history with these guys, but the price per watt on these seems pretty damn good.

https://www.thepowerstore.com/peima...UPD2rpLRk3zfdUXww78CkP1W9Ac8iaZBoCDY0QAvD_BwE

The Canadian fly in outpost we went to this year was mostly solar with a wood stove for heat and couple 100# propane tanks coupled together for cook stove and hot water heater. Nice to have was a super insulated full size refrig designed to run with solar/battery setup made by Sunfrost out in CA. That frig was much nicer than the propane ones have seen at other camps which are smaller and reliabilty of keeping pilot light going was always an issue once or twice a week.

My camp has a Generac 30kw propane pad-mounted generator with it's own propane tank, separate from the cabin's tank. We set it with a big track-hoe & slings. I can tell you, if you plan to spend weekends there and run your generator for the refrig. to stay cold - be prepared to pay thousands each year for propane. Our camp gets used hard all during the spring, summer, and fall. But we only run the gen. for necessities, which are lights and electric baseboard heat (which we use in the colder months just to take the chill off until the wood stove warms up and takes over.) We opted for a propane refrig. and we also have a heavily insulated, self-contained, trailer mounted " beer cooler " with a tap on the side that plugs in to run the compressor. Once that thing is cold, it stays cold for days when unplugged. Plenty of room in that thing for extra food, canned soda, several 1/2 kegs of beer - so we're good with a propane refrig. That refrig. is in an unheated, attached back room on the cabin, and we've had no problems with pilot light.

Our generator is on a concrete slab 200 ft. from the cabin, and the remote control and power wires are underground in 3" PVC conduit back to the cabin. We can start it at the unit or from the kitchen in the cabin. The slab is covered by a shed roof to keep it out of weather, though it has it's own weather enclosure. We went with a higher rated output because we weld up there on numerous occasions, and sometimes with everything running, we need the power.

3 of us are electricians in camp, each with over 30 years experience. We looked at solar, but for the cost of everything, including enough batteries and the covered space to store them, it would take years to recoup the costs for a system that depends on good weather. Absolute dependability was the clincher. Our ONLY negative is the cost of propane. We've taken steps to reduce our propane usage, and shut the gen. down when not absolutely necessary. We installed propane gas lights in several locations in the cabin ( an old farmhouse which has been added to ), and they throw tons of light and some heat in colder months, when you need a little heat, but not enough to put a fire in or kick the gen. on for baseboard heat. I'll look up the brand of gas lights we use & get back on here to share the info. They use little propane. They're the best thing we've installed in the cabin in years !!

It all depends on how big your cabin is, how it's used, and by how many people. REGULAR MAINTENANCE is key to avoiding major problems if you go with a propane generator.

I know you are thinking propane generator, but I have a Honda ES6500 gas generator for sale cheap. It was bought by my Dad in 1999 and hooked up to his house, but Y2K never happened, so it has never been run except a couple times it was started to make sure it was operational.