Odd soil type

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I am a bit puzzled by a soil "type" we have at the Christmas tree farm. While not sandy it sure seems to dry out fast after every rain. Almost like it is hydrophobic. Anyone ever experienced this before? Luckily it seems to just be a couple of acres, but wondering what could have happened there in the past to make it that way. Native vegetation does grow on it, but might be a challenge to get trees established on it.

I am a bit puzzled by a soil "type" we have at the Christmas tree farm. While not sandy it sure seems to dry out fast after every rain. Almost like it is hydrophobic. Anyone ever experienced this before? Luckily it seems to just be a couple of acres, but wondering what could have happened there in the past to make it that way. Native vegetation does grow on it, but might be a challenge to get trees established on it.

Have you checked WSS for the stats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the soils map it isn't any different of a soil. It is kind of downhill from what used to be a livestock building. The soil doesn't seem to be anymore fertile than anyplace else.

Have you soil tested it? Can you share a pic of it? How deep is it?

Have you soil tested it? Can you share a pic of it? How deep is it?
Not that particular spot. I will post a picture of it at some point. Looks the same down the 1st 12" that is as deep as I have ever dug there.

is it possible that area had the topsoil stripped years ago?

I know of an excavating company that owns some land and uses it as a source for top soil, fill and even sand/rocks. They strip out a section of whatever soil type they need and they place a little topsoil back on top and plant some pine trees when they are done. It looks really natural when they are done, but I'm sure the web soil map for that area is no longer accurate.

If there was a high intensity fire at the location in the past?
Wss only looks dominate soils and not small inclusions.

I've had similar issues on soil that was like peat or sphagnum moss. Is the pH very low?