Oats and turnips

NT179

5 year old buck +
My cousin planted oats with turnips last spring. They combined the oats and the turnips came up great after that. It was a super dry summer but with fall rains. The deer were in those fields hard. Could this be another planting method?

I do oats clover and turnips. Planting turnips in the spring is not ideal for palatibility, although they do eat it. If you do not have much AG or neighboring food plot competition, they'll still work on the turnips. Where I plant it's either what I'm doing, or 10 miles of young tree browse and weeds. They love anything I throw out them pretty much.

Ideally, I'd plant clover and oats. Spray a little gly or clethodim to kill the oats late summer. Spread turnips or daikon raddish and more oats. Gly doesn't have much residual action, but the clethodim does, so you may want to wait a week or two before putting the oats down.

Once oats go to maturity, the deer focus on the seed head and not the plant itself.

My personal struggle with turnips is ruffed grouse. They destroy the young plants before they have a chance to grow. I have to plant 3x the seed to get a decent amount of them. It sure helps you keep awake seeing the male grouse fight over the plot in the early season though........