Oaks for around water

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Has anyone planted a variety of oak around a duck hole?I didn't know if Nuttall was what grew around moist soil and would produce fairly quick in zone 6

Pin oaks seem like a good option by a water hole.

How about a bit of variety to guard against a down year. I'd probably try Pin, Nuttall and SWO. Should extend the drop times, too.

I’m doing the same thing I’ve got several ponds I’m going to plant Pin oak and Nuttall oaks around for duck food. I’d guess Water oak would be another good choice also.

Another good one might be gobbler Sawtooth oaks just keep them higher up the bank.

I have timber pretty close to edge of water so I may have to cut existing trees back a bit once I make sure they look like they will survive.I have planted tone=s of sawtooth and bur oaks but not nuttall and gobbler saw tooth. Isn't main difference between these two size of acorns?

Willow oaks ,water oaks,nuttall, and overcup

bill

Gobbler sawtooth should be smaller acorns. Pin oak are smaller acorns Water oak are smaller also I’m not sure on Nuttall never seen one in person.

I would suggest Nuttall, willow, water, and cherrybark oak. I would advise against overcups if you are strictly planting as food for ducks. The first study below found deciduous holly was also a preferred food for ducks. According to a couple of studies, ducks actively selected for willow oak acorns because of their smaller size, thin shell, and high meat to shell ratio.

Foraging Habits of Mallards and Wood Ducks in a Bottomland Hardwood Forest in Texas
Acorn Selection by Female Wood Ducks
Mid-Winter Food Use and Body Weights of Mallards and Wood Ducks in Mississippi

I would suggest Nuttall, willow, water, and cherrybark oak. I would advise against overcups if you are strictly planting as food for ducks. The first study below found deciduous holly was also a preferred food for ducks. According to a couple of studies, ducks actively selected for willow oak acorns because of their smaller size, thin shell, and high meat to shell ratio.

Foraging Habits of Mallards and Wood Ducks in a Bottomland Hardwood Forest in Texas
Acorn Selection by Female Wood Ducks
Mid-Winter Food Use and Body Weights of Mallards and Wood Ducks in Mississippi

Thanks for the links

bill

I am assuming since these are oaks that I will have to protect from bucks rubbing.

And dear in general eating them rabbits mice voles from girdling them. I would use tree tubes.

Here is a photo for size reference of acorns on some bottomland oaks. Maybe under different growing conditions the other oaks may produce more acorns but from my experience Pin oak produces more acorns than the others. I’m personally not a huge fan of Shingle oak they turn brown and seem to hold there leaves until spring. I find their winter aesthetics rather unappealing. This maybe a characteristic you find useful for cover.

Attachments

• B394312D-1CD9-49B7-9B04-6FEEA56B265C.jpeg
    B394312D-1CD9-49B7-9B04-6FEEA56B265C.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 10
I probably will use tubes but I wonder if I should still fence since there are beavers also. How far from waters edge should water oak be planted

Beavers omg you need traps spot lights in the dark and fencing. I planted a row of weeping willows along a stream years ago. All I really did was lay out a smorgasbord of expensive sticks for the beavers.