Not what i wanted to see.

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
I'm pretty sure this is a wolf. I haven't had a picture of a deer in 9 days after getting a pic off deer almost everyday. I've had my property almost 20 years and have had many pictures of coyote but never a wolf. I did see one a few years ago while bowhunting.

Attachments

• 1984488808.jpg
    1984488808.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 84
Given you are in NW Wisconsin, it is likely a wolf. Doesn't look like a coyote at all.

This is from the wolf research center in Ely, Minnesota:
"In Minnesota, for example, each wolf eats an average of 15-20 adult-sized deer or their equivalent per year to meet their nutritional requirements. Based on this average, and the estimate of 2,400 wolves in Minnesota, wolves kill the equivalent of about 36,000 to 48,000 adult-sized deer per year."

I'm pretty sure this is a wolf. I haven't had a picture of a deer in 9 days after getting a pic off deer almost everyday. I've had my property almost 20 years and have had many pictures of coyote but never a wolf. I did see one a few years ago while bowhunting.
On the bright side, you wont have as many coyotes around.

Wolf for sure.

I saw a study from I believe was Wisc. and they had tracked wolf kills and they killed more for the fun than to feast on as they would eat ounces off the kill,Glad I don't have them in Kansas.

Definitely a wolf. I have wolves on my property and find very few remains after a kill. Usually just hair is left. I found a dead deer earlier this year, too much left so assuming it was hit on the snowmobile trail. Another kill site all I found is to front hooves. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The DNR says not to worry, they don’t hang out in one area very long, and they move on.

Ya, they hang out there until they kill and eat all the deer, or chase th deer away, then they move on. This is usually tolerable, unless they move in right before deer hunting, and are there for 2-4 weeks, and then it takes another month before deer come back to your property. But in the last 20 years, I would say the wolves have wrecked 3 years of hunting.

Sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. It’s a failure on the government’s level to not allow us to manage predators better

Keep him on your side of the county!

My neighbor by my Rusk County place told me some stories about how many of the locals keep the wolf population in check. I think they do a pretty good job of keeping the wolf packs from getting too large, but they don't get them all.

Keep him on your side of the county!

My neighbor by my Rusk County place told me some stories about how many of the locals keep the wolf population in check. I think they do a pretty good job of keeping the wolf packs from getting too large, but they don't get them all.
I have heard a few stories about that also. I heard some guys talking about sending one floating down the river. I agree most likely the reason they are not all over in Rusk. I know the dnr had a pack or two location on the northern boarder of Rusk and Sawyer county.

We are in south central Wisconsin and I have had wolves on camera for at least last 10 years. I usually only see one lone wolf, never multiple of in a pack.

One year I found at least 8 dead deer that had only been partially eaten.

Wolfs will kill up to 1 deer a week to survive.

DNR refused to admit they would stray this far from the north, ridiculous denial as they are tracking them. Finally had to off permits when farmers were taking matters into their own hands.

SSS...hhhhh ....

I have heard a few stories about that also. I heard some guys talking about sending one floating down the river. I agree most likely the reason they are not all over in Rusk. I know the dnr had a pack or two location on the northern boarder of Rusk and Sawyer county.
just tell that dnr guy that he's been watching too much Yellowstone if thinks the "wolf floating down the river" is real, lol