Norway Spruce

gunther89

5 year old buck +
Looking into possibly getting some Norway Spruce to get more cover and create a screen for one of our food plots. Where does everyone order them from? Also what kind of prices would I be looking at if I were need lets say 100?

You could try plugs from Itasca Greenhouse or North Central Reforestation?

Also do you guys just plant seedlings or a little bigger? How long does a seedling take to get of decent size.

My Dad planted 1 ft. Spruce 5 years ago. They basically looked like twigs with a needle on top. Today they are around 3.5 foot tall and fairly thick. Make sure any spruce you plant have sun. Don't plant them under a conopy, they will never get big.

Also, If you want 100 established spruce trees, plant 200. Based on plantings we have done, 50% die. Deer snap them with antlers, brouse and trample them.

http://www.itascagreenhouse.com/page4.html
I planeted 600 last year, 400 norway 100 black and 100 white spruce. Only the Whites are being browsed a bit and even then its like 10 percent of the top in one clean cut. I got the 4As. Like sticking a small carrot in the ground.
You get a tremendous price break if you order 500. In my opinion not worth your time for 100. Find a friend and get 500. At 500 they are 23cents a pop. I think like 1.25 if you get under 100. You can do the math on that one.
It took me less time to do 600 plugs than 150 bareroot trees last year and my plug success is higher. As for growth I researched alot and it seemed like nothing in year 1 and very little in 2 and 3, but by year 5 and after it should be about a foot a year. I have to open woods or major sunlight so for me I am sure it will be slower but better than nothing. Good luck.

You could try plugs from Itasca Greenhouse or North Central Reforestation?
I'm going with NCR Styro 20 and they were just under $2/tree. To me plugs is the only way to go now.

last 3 years I planted 5000 Spruce each year. I get mine from my DNR. 3 yr old.

last 3 years I planted 5000 Spruce each year. I get mine from my DNR. 3 yr old.
How is your survival and growth rate? thanks.

I get mine from
http://www.lauraslanenursery.com/
They were 3 year old bare root 9-14" & .24 each if buying over 1k if I remember right, this was in 2013 I bought 1300. In smaller amounts they were .90 each, 2014 I got 150. I used root gel and have over 90% survival rate.

I get mine from
They were 3 year old bare root 9-14" & .24 each if buying over 1k if I remember right, this was in 2013 I bought 1300. In smaller amounts they were .90 each, 2014 I got 150. I used root gel and have over 90% survival rate.
I get mine from

tooln, How is your growth rate?

thanks for the link. I may get a few hundred more this year.

How is your survival and growth rate? thanks.
Very good on both accounts. Although proper preparation before with weeds is essential as well as after they are planted. I kill of the area the year before and use a pre emergent right after planting8c8dc74375f4feacbb0047d487cfb634.jpg

What's your spacing there Dave? Looks awful close together in the rows.

tooln, How is your growth rate?

thanks for the link. I may get a few hundred more this year.
I'd call it good. The ones planted in 2013 put on about 3-4" on average, some more. I planted them in a clear cut. No prep work, no weed killer or fert. Just went to town with the dibble bar.

Anyone ever plant these in Mo?? Wonder how they would perform with our hot summers

What's your spacing there Dave? Looks awful close together in the rows.
We had a really wet spring and I couldn't wait anymore it was to the point of get them in the ground before they die. They are about 6-8 feet apart. That planting is a food plot screen. So I wasn't to worried about how close they were as I don't really want the deer bedding there. I have a planter to dig them out and replant later on where needed. I couldn't plant all the areas I had originally planned on. You can see the standing water in back. So better to get them in and re do later than just let die in the box.

Last edited:
We had a really wet spring and I couldn't wait anymore it was to the point of get them in the ground before they die. They are about 6-8 feet apart. That planting is a food plot screen. So I wasn't to worried about how close they were as I don't really want the deer bedding there. I have a planter to dig them out and replant later on where needed. I couldn't plant all the areas I had originally planned on. You can see the standing water in back. So better to get them in and re do later than just let die in the box.

Dave,

You gotta try plugs (if you haven't already) rather than bareroot from the DNR. I've held plugs in their styrofoam container all summer (not ideal, but it worked) and planted in the fall. With bareroot you are stuck once they show up!

-John

Itasca says you can plant plugs any time the ground won't freeze within a month of planting. They need time to set roots so they don't frost heave out.

You'd need to keep them watered, but if they're in the transport foam, you could hold them all summer into fall like John said. With a plug planting tool, getting a few hundred in the ground is only a day or two of moderately paced planting. I did 200 MG rhizomes with a shovel in a few hours, and I'm a gimp. :)

Spruce growth rates are around 1 foot per year (my experience). You will get some faster and some that stunt.

I planted a batch at my camp 18 yrs. ago and it's the best thing we've done for holding deer and providing security / thermal cover. Norways and white spruce both.
Love the spruce pic w/ the grass and green strip mixed in No-Fo !! Excellent set-up.