no more back tags in WI

gwm

5 year old buck +
I grabbed this off another site:

Senate Bill 289 – eliminates the requirement for a hunter to wear a back tag while hunting game, and eliminates the requirement for the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to provide a hard copy license to hunters. Authored by Senator Terry Moulton (R – Chippewa Falls) and Representative Joel Kleefisch (R – Oconomowoc), the bill passed the Senate with a vote of 28-4 and was concurred by the Assembly on a voice vote. It is Act 222.

Seems like this will "invite" more guys to trespass without fear of being identified, but I don't currently own any property, so it really doesn't affect me in that negative way. Without issuance of a hard copy license, how do we "tag" our deer in the field? Seems like it will make the jobs of the CO's much harder as well?

Last edited:
I agree, and every time I have heard anything related to this and a CO was involved in the discussion, they still think it is a terrible idea.

Plus no need to carry a paper license anymore as long as you have a state issued Id.

How are the CO's supposed to validate that you have a license? Smartphone app linked directly to the state computers I suppose, better hope they have cell service in the area your hunting, or that scenario could take a while during your hunting time. The Northwoods would be a bad place to have this happen. What do they do, take your word for it that you have a valid license, or make you follow them to somewhere they have cell service? Log your name and info and then send you a ticket in the mail after they have had a chance to run your info? How do they know your still not in the woods hunting without one? Lots of questions on how this will operate that for sure weren't thought of by our lovely law-makers.

How are the CO's supposed to validate that you have a license? Smartphone app linked directly to the state computers I suppose, better hope they have cell service in the area your hunting, or that scenario could take a while during your hunting time. The Northwoods would be a bad place to have this happen. What do they do, take your word for it that you have a valid license, or make you follow them to somewhere they have cell service? Log your name and info and then send you a ticket in the mail after they have had a chance to run your info? How do they know your still not in the woods hunting without one? Lots of questions on how this will operate that for sure weren't thought of by our lovely law-makers.
Same as they do now to confirm whether your drivers license is valid or not or if you have warrants. They call it in on their law enforcement radio.

That will be way quicker and less intrusive than just looking at the green sticker they give you now and moving on about their merry way...:rolleyes:

Let's face it if they have reason to suspect your license is not valid even if you have it in hand they will be running a check to confirm it. Seen it done many times.

I agree, but how could they even begin to suspect your license was not valid? If it is for the current year, has your name on it, and that name matches some type of photo ID, they have no reason whatsoever to suspect it wasn't valid. At that point it would be bordering on the edge of harassment.
Also, in all my years of hunting public land, I have never had anything remotely like that happen when I was checked, and I have been checked as many as a dozen times a year between fishing and hunting many different species and seasons.

Depends on the totality of the circumstances. In some situations a license is deemed to be valid on its face due to time constraints, purpose of stop, or the number of people being checked. Other situations a valid license on its face is still checked because often times there are underlying issues. What appears to be a valid license may very well be revoked or a complete fake.

A license check over the radio will not prolong the encounter for more than a minute, if that.

OFFICER: Dispatch run my DL# 123456 for a deer license.

DISPATCH: 10-4

seconds later....

DISPATCH: He has a valid DL and deer license but is wanted out of Missouri for raping goats.

A license check over the radio will not prolong the encounter for more than a minute, if that.
You are likely right, given your affiliation with the "industry". I just hope it doesn't turn into a PIA every time they stop to do a bag limit/license check, because that would pi$$ me off to high heaven. The other thing is, economically speaking, they say they save $160,000 per year by not printing back tags. IF, and I say if because I do not know the answer, they have to increase staff to run these checks during the peak times of the hunting seasons, they will burn up that 160K in short order paying OT to those who are then providing the extra staffing to run those checks. As I said, many variables that were likely not thought of by the guys endorsing this bill.

Last edited:
I care less if we have to wear back tags or not.

But no doubt at least a paper license should be required. A valid hunting/fishing license can be accepted by face value for hunting/fishing privileges. Much like a driver's license for driving privileges. But a driver's license for hunting/fishing privileges makes no sense because a check must be done.

From DNR last week:

"In addition to eliminating the old thermal paper licenses, the Go Wild system will change the way carcass tags are handled. Customers who purchase a license, either at a vendor or at home, will be able to print out a paper copy of their harvest permits, such as turkey or goose. The permits will have information and additional space for validation.

The rules approved by the Natural Resources board retain the requirement to immediately validate the carcass tag upon harvest, but do not require the validated tag to be attached to some species such as deer, bear, wild turkey, sharp-tailed grouse and sturgeon as long as the hunter is with the carcass. This allows a hunter to keep the validated carcass tag in a pocket while removing game from the woods or water to help reduce loss or damage of the paper carcass tags.

Durable tags remain for some limited-draw species such as bobcat, fisher and otter, and these species also carry the requirement to attach the carcass tag immediately upon recovery and register in-person."

Personally, I like the elimination of back tags. I didn't care for them, especially for bowhunting.

Isn't there only a few states that require them anymore? I thought NY, NJ and WI were the last ones but maybe I'm missing one or two.

I don't see how this will prevent damage to a carcass tag? The ones we have now are pretty water repellant, home printer paper on the other hand will get destroyed and hard to read with just a minimal amount of moisture. Better keep them in a ziplock baggie. Funny how they even use the words "durable tags" as well.

Maybe we can print one and make about 10 copies as well...:rolleyes:

It sounds like they are forcing anyone who wants to hunt a species which requires a carcass tag to have a printer in there home or travel somewhere where they can use one...stupid.

Ahhh...I see in their pdf that they will gladly print you a .15 cent copy for the low price of just $2.00 at your local license vendor...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is awesome. 10000% awesome. So all we need is for Walker to sign it and its law?

This is awesome. 10000% awesome. So all we need is for Walker to sign it and its law?

Already signed it.

I'm slow here, so we don't tag deer anymore?