New Scope

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
I've been using a Benelli SBE 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun with slugs during firearm season for many years. Most of the counties I've hunted in here in VA are limited to shotguns during general firearm season. In recent years, 20 gauge technology has overtaken 12 gauge for slugs. As I'm getting older, the weight and kick of the 12 are slowly becoming liabilities as well (although I still use a 10 gauge for spring gobbler). So, I decided to buy a new 20 gauge.

Just as I had finished my research and decided what gun I wanted, we got news last year that the county with our farm has just approved rifles for general firearms deer season. I still had an old Remington 760 Gamemaster in .30-06 from when I was growing up in PA. So, last year I dusted it off and took it out. I like the old pump but I was pretty poor in college, so it was topped with an old Bushnell Sportview 3x9 scope. In the places I hunted in PA in the big woods, you never got a shot much over 100 yards so glass was not that important. It was mounted on shoot through base so I could use iron sights if necessary in low light or when the scope fogged up. Here at the farm, I have several places on the open pipeline where I could possibly get a multi-hundred yard shot.

The 760 itself performed well, but it could really use new glass. So, I decided rather than putting my money into a 20 gauge setup, I'd rescope the old 760 for this year. I'm a hunter ed instructor and we get a substantial discount from a number of manufacturers for personal use equipment including Leupold. We get a nice discount but we are low on the priority list so I new I needed to order early. Back in April, I called leupold tech support to make sure I got the right base and rings for my gun. They gave me the part numbers and I put in my order in April.

The rings and base came within a week, but I just got the scope on Friday. It is a nice looking VX-6HD 3-18x44mm (30mm) CDS-ZL2 Side Focus in Matte black with an Illuminated Boone & Crockett reticle. So, I started working on it today. I went and got a torque wrench in inch lbs so I could torque everything properly. I started by giving the old gun a good cleaning. I then removed the Bushnell and shoot thru mount.

When I went to mount the base, I found only the 2 front holes aligned properly. I went and doubled checked my order form and they sent what I ordered, but tech support evidently gave me the wrong base. The Quick Release one piece base they said to order was labeled for the Remington 7400/7600 and that is what they sent, but evidently that is not compatible with the 760 gamemaster; at least not mine. So, Monday morning I'll get back on the phone with Tech Support and see if I can work it out.

Do any of you have a Leupold QR base mounted on a Remington 760 Game Master? If so, do you know the leupold part number? Any hints for mounting?

My plan, once I get the right base, is this:

After mounting the base and securing the lower half of the rings, I set the scope in the rings and test it and mark it for eye relief. I then plan to put the gun in cleaning stand and level it. I don't see any flat spots on the receiver, so my plan was to put a level along both sides of the receiver to ensure they are at 90 degrees of level. I'll then hang a plumb bob along a wall. I'll install the top rings lightly so the scope can be moved in them. I'll then set eye relief at the mark and rotate the scope until the vertical cross hair aligns with the plumb line and begin tightening the tops.

....Well that was the plan until I read the manual. Evidently this scope has a reticle level built in. You put it in leveling mode, rotate it beyond 30 degrees and the reticle starts flashing. You then slowly rotate it until it stops flashing and it is level! Guess I don't need the plumb bob!

Thanks,

Jack

I salute you for doing the work yourself. I don't have the tools or the competence to do such work. I do have a world class gunsmith that I have been using for the past 35+ years.
I have many older Leupold Vari-X III scopes on my hunting rifles and really like them. You will be pleased with your scope choice. One thing my gunsmith does to all my personal hunting rifles is to hand lap the rings.
Good luck with this job!

I have a great gunsmith that I use for custom work and work beyond my capacity. As an aside, for turkey hunting I like to mount a red dot sight pretty far down the barrel on my 10 gauge. Since they are parallax free, this allows me to move my head less. As long as I can see the dot, I know where the gun is pointed. So, I was having the vented rib on my Browning tapped and a red dot mounted. I went into the gun shop to pick it up and ran into the now deceased Antonin Scalia. He was picking up a shotgun he was having work done on as well. He had no security detail, just there by himself like any other customer. After a short polite exchange with him, I sure felt comfortable about our supreme court when it came to firearms as long as he was there.

Back to my situation. When I was using standard rings with scopes in the past, I would lap the rings before mounting it. Since I started using single base Leupold scopes, rings, and bases, I really have not had to lap the rings. I credit this to their precision machining. It is good that you mention that, and I will lap them if I feel it is necessary. Thanks for reminding me to check it. For those who have not done it, lapping the rings ensures there is no torque put on the scope by misaligned rings.

Mounting a scope doesn't take a lot of tools. Leupold uses torx (star) screws. All you need is a torque wrench with star bits to install it. The screws they supply are already dipped in Loctite. If there is any torque on the tube, a lapping bar and compound may be needed.

Thanks,

Jack

Was your 760 factory drilled and tapped?

Is that scope any bigger than a normal 3x9?

Was your 760 factory drilled and tapped?

Is that scope any bigger than a normal 3x9?

I believe it was. The new scope is a 30mm tube vs 1" and a larger objective (44mm). The old mounts were 2 piece shoot-thru weaver type so the scope was high over the barrel. I believe the rings that tech support recommend for the new scope are medium to account for the objective.

Thanks,

Jack