New plot - 20 days with no rain

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
The value of having a plot on low ground with just a little shade has become apparent to me this year. I got a great rain the day after planting and everything came up - but now it has been 20 days and not a drop.

The morning dews have been good, and along with the low ground, I think that is all that's saving me so far.

I planted a virtual cornucopia of different seed together this year as an experiment. I had my normal cool season stuff but added a dusting of buckwheat and sunhemp to the fall mix. My reasoning was that I would get some use out of the warm season stuff until it died out and then the cool season stuff would be there ready to go.

How is everything doing without the rain?

Wheat - looks green and is about 4 inches high. Just kind of stalled out waiting for more rain.

Oats - About the same as the wheat.

Diakon Radishes - Once they germinate, the drought can't touch them much. However, they are not growing fast.

Red and White Perennial Clovers - This has me worried. Not seeing much yet. Either needs more rain to germinate or possibly some has germinated and died.

Crimson Clover - lots has germinated and looks pretty good.

Sunhemp - Very green and about 5 inches tall. Kind of stalled out right now.

Buckwheat - About 8 inches tall and stalled out needing more rain.

Chicory - Lots has germinated and about 3 inches tall.

This is the day I did throw and mow just before the rain came:

f9gabgZ.jpg

This is the best section on the lowest side where it gets some shade. I wish it was all this good,

mDewsXU.jpg

This is out in the hottest and driest part. Not bad but spotty and needing a drink.

MUSHtOP.jpg

My worst fear at this point is that I will lose (or have lost) a lot of my perennial clover. Another thing is that since this is taking off so slowly, I can see some crabgrass coming up in the thin spots. We are not out of the woods yet - still not a good forecast in the near future. I think if this had been on the ridge land rather than the low area, it would be toast now.

Wow, that is a pleasant surprise. I am checking mine tomorrow. Planted Rye, Radishes and med red clover, I planted 8/31 and it rained a about an inch and then two small showers 9/1, 9/2, nothing since. I hope mine looks that good. There is a 50% chance of rain tonight so I'm hoping.

Wow, that is a pleasant surprise. I am checking mine tomorrow. Planted Rye, Radishes and med red clover, I planted 8/31 and it rained a about an inch and then two small showers 9/1, 9/2, nothing since. I hope mine looks that good. There is a 50% chance of rain tonight so I'm hoping.

Good luck. It's 10 more days until we get over a 10% - 20% chance.

Wouldnt think about planting before Oct 1st on my ground. If i planted the first of September - and by some stroke of luck there was a rain to germinate, then the army worms would get it

Not bad for little rain, my brassicas suffered because of lack of rain this year. I over seeded cereal grains in the holes in the brassicas.

Man that looks pretty good! My area has been really dry...no rain for weeks and weeks and none in the forecast unless one of these tropical depressions makes some rain.

7" Since monday- take what you need!

That is pretty unbelievable. All that grow and grow must be helping the soil...

Night before last I got one of those tiny, stray pop up showers that was pretty strong for about 10 minutes and then gone. Yesterday morning you could still feel a little bit of moisture at the top of the soil, so it was enough to help a some. Would love to have more rain, but happy with anything. Forecast still looking dim for the next 10 days.

It has been too wet by me. It has rained at least every other day, with down pours almost everyday. This has got to be a record year for rain this year, or very close.

My food plots are loving it though! Planted wr and clover September 2nd, and the deer have been keeping it trimmed.

C7EB91A7-172C-4DD9-9289-DD2E2B60E0CF.png

Just to let everyone know - this plot turned out okay despite the drought. My grains did great and the deer have been using them heavily as of late. I'm not sure how much clover I will actually have this spring, but we will see. Once the rains started, we were okay, but that initial period was a worry.

0m63Wdz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Should get something in the spring.

Jealous of the green, another 4 months before any hints of that. Sick of winter already

Wow! Still so green! Let’s see some late season apples still hanging;) Get is through these winter blues Steve! Haha