New kitchen table

The power company came through my place and opened R/W where there was a big walnut so part of deal was they cut it into a log and load on my trailer.Iknew a guy that could plank it.I thenlet it sit for 4 years with spacers between each board.I then found a guy that made a walnut chest for each of my daughters out of it.There wasn't enough dark wood for both so we used cedar on bottoms but they are very high quality.

I pick up quite a few logs from little projects like that around the area from time to time. I almost always use cedar bottoms on any chests. I love the smell it adds to the project. Usually I use half blind dovetail joints on chests and drawers for the speed at which I can do them but occasionally I’ll do full thru dovetails if I really want to draw attention to the joinery.

If you are looking to sell it hit up any trapping supply place locally or post it on trapperman.com in the "fur shed" sales category. A lot of those sizes are used for trapping purposes.
Only issue is this is its all galvanized coated chain so it wouldn’t take trap dye very well. I always boiled my traps in sumac berries to dye and wax them.

I would still use it for that purpose. I have some galvanized chain attached to a few traps, it tarnishes fairly quickly when exposed to the soil for any length of time and then it will begin to take on the dye color after that. If you are attaching it to dryland traps that are set below the surface of the ground it won't make any difference. Chain isn't visible to the animals you are trying to catch. You can still boil it to remove any odor from previous catches.

Well I may go ahead and let my kids post some for sale on that site.I had already told them to post up that smaller #3 double loop on eBay if they wanted to it’s pretty small for gate chain and I have plenty of the #2 and 2/0 for that.

Middle boy getting his costume together for next years renaissance festival. He wanted a flail we made this one this evening. I may weld together a spiked one but to actually carry it any amount of time walking around the festival we thought a plain ball would likely be better.
IMG_0467.jpeg

I’ve got it soaking in acid to give it a patina and hide the grinding/welding of new work.

Beautiful!!!!

Your woodworking skills are top notch. I struggle to make a nice handle scales.

I’m telling you, made out of hedge? That’s gonna be on Antiques Roadshow in about 600 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks real nice! We have some monster hedge trees... I should probably learn how to do that. You could take shelter under that table in a tornado.

What kind of wood are the draw pins?

What kind of wood are the draw pins?
The dowels are also osage orange I spun up a couple 1/2” dowels just for this table