New food plot

Sheeterdan

Yearling... With promise
I own 10.5 acres in adams county Ohio. And I am clearing 2 plots about 1/2 to 3/4 acres each. Where do I start to build up soil for food plots. This is all new to me
It's a little rolling but I had all stumps pulled out and some what level as possible. I am hoping to have a cabin built this coming spring. Sorta kinda figuring out size and water and sewage. I am thinking of putting in holding tank for sewage. Water is very expensive for hook up, I just don't know about that yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a soil test. You can use your local farm CO-OP or even buy a kit from whitetail institute, biologic, etc. It will tell you what the soil needs, lime most likely will be the biggest issue in a woods plot. With smaller plots, lean on clover, once you get your pH correct with the lime. Lime is cheap, but pays big dividends.

I own 10.5 acres in adams county Ohio. And I am clearing 2 plots about 1/2 to 3/4 acres each. Where do I start to build up soil for food plots. This is all new to me
It's a little rolling but I had all stumps pulled out and some what level as possible. I am hoping to have a cabin built this coming spring. Sorta kinda figuring out size and water and sewage. I am thinking of putting in holding tank for sewage. Water is very expensive for hook up, I just don't know about that yet.

Why do you want food plots? What are you trying to accomplis?

swat is giving good advice to get started. After you know what your soil is capable of then you can make a plan on possible fertilizers and future crop possibilities. Winter rye will grow anywhere and i always suggest that to be one component and also clover and chicory make a very good plot together(they feed each other).

What I am trying to do here is this. I have a prosthetic left leg below the knee. I can not walk as good as some people can in the woods. So I am trying to develop this ground so it deer hunting friendly for me. I am going to put up 2 or so hunting blinds / towers. I am recovering as I speak from back surgery. So I hope this explains what I am trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a trail system in place already for my utv.
Yes I figured on taking soil samples and getting them tested. I been doing some reading on this for awhile now

What I am trying to do here is this. I have a prosthetic left leg below the knee. I can not walk as good as some people can in the woods. So I am trying to develop this ground so it deer hunting friendly for me. I am going to put up 2 or so hunting blinds / towers. I am recovering as I speak from back surgery. So I hope this explains what I am trying to do.

Have you evaluated the property and determined that a food plot will accomplish this? With only 10 acres, habitat changes can have a big impact on how deer relate to your land. Before you begin, think about location and access. If you plan to hunt these plots, would 4 quarter acre plots with some separation help keeping pressure off 2 plots? Will these plots encourage or discourage use of your land? There is a lot of analysis to do up front, especially with a small piece of property. You situation has even more constraints than most because of your mobility issues. In many cases, I would not put more than a micro plot on a place that small. When hunting pressure begins, deer seek security and often feed after dark. So placing a sizeable food plot on a small property can make it less huntable in general. I usually focus on sanctuary and security. Your case may be different. A micro plot is not designed to attract deer. It is designed to position them for a shot as the move through a transition area from bedding to food.

Thanks,

Jack

With 10 acres, I'd maybe have one small kill plot, but I'd run a feeder with corn all year around. I had 11 acres in Adams County (then added another 30) and built a nice litle cabin on it. I'd use feeders for pulling in and keeping the deer. Find out where the bedding cedars are, and stay away from them, and keep the feeders going. Spend money on some nice raised blinds and forget about the plots/money/time.

1MRqZC2.jpg

What kind of equipment do you have? Can you mow? Do you want to disc/till or do no-till?

As of right now I have no equipment but I need at least a mower of some kind. I might get a neighbor to put a food plot in for me.but i been looking for a 4 wheeler and golf cart. I am just starting out with this

Look into a concept called "throw and mow". It's a minimal tillage planting process that some folks here use. I would keep your plots simple...perennial clover, and/or a cereal grain/brassica plot. These are small seeds and tend to not need to be covered by soil to germinate. Start will a soil test and be prepared to add some soil amendments over time.

I know you didn't ask...but, you have to give considerable consideration to your plot location and layout. You need to think about how you want the plot to impact your hunting and make the plot work FOR you. Do NOT put in the plot and THEN try to figure out how to use it for hunting. Being a small property your hunting access and being able to hunt undetected is going to be VERY important.

I'd follow these concepts for what and when to plant. Then use the throw and mow method to plant. Some of the biggest takeaways to me are pay attention to plant functional groups (have all groups present in a mix) and cool vs warm season plants.

This might be a good resource....also, do a google search on microparcels - I know several PodCasts I listen to talk about how to make microparcel magnets for big bucks....

This might be a good resource....also, do a google search on microparcels - I know several PodCasts I listen to talk about how to make microparcel magnets for big bucks....
Lots of good stuff on Jeff's channel. He had several good videos last winter on setting up small parcels.

Lots of good, lots of not so good...I'm not big on the push sources for information. It provides a very skewed perspective. I much prefer places like this forum where every approach is challenged and money is not driving or limiting what is said. When money is an incentive, it quickly gets called out here. Also, keep in mind that approaches that may be quite effective in the north may be completely wrong for the south and vice versa. Mountains have thermal related movement while flat land has different challenges. Fertile soils and big ag in farm land is night and day different from big woods.

Yoderjac I understand what your saying cause grow up in northwest Ohio. The weather and growing conditions are altogether different than southwest Ohio. But I have been always from farming and growing conditions for over 25 yrs.so I decided on one area about 1/2 to 3/4 acre to put a deer tower where there is serval main trail cross my land from neighboring properties. It's like 2 slopes meet and the deer and turkeys travel down it. Close to where the tower and food plot I'm thinking about. But it's a thin cedar saplings grove which I need to clear out yet. So I am starting from new ground this spring.i contacted serval contractors never show up. Getting this done is like pulling my own teeth. Now that I am laid up from back surgery.

Yoderjac I understand what your saying cause grow up in northwest Ohio. The weather and growing conditions are altogether different than southwest Ohio. But I have been always from farming and growing conditions for over 25 yrs.so I decided on one area about 1/2 to 3/4 acre to put a deer tower where there is serval main trail cross my land from neighboring properties. It's like 2 slopes meet and the deer and turkeys travel down it. Close to where the tower and food plot I'm thinking about. But it's a thin cedar saplings grove which I need to clear out yet. So I am starting from new ground this spring.i contacted serval contractors never show up. Getting this done is like pulling my own teeth. Now that I am laid up from back surgery.

Best of luck! I know how it is when you're on the sideline and chomping at the bit!

Lots of good, lots of not so good...I'm not big on the push sources for information. It provides a very skewed perspective. I much prefer places like this forum where every approach is challenged and money is not driving or limiting what is said. When money is an incentive, it quickly gets called out here. Also, keep in mind that approaches that may be quite effective in the north may be completely wrong for the south and vice versa. Mountains have thermal related movement while flat land has different challenges. Fertile soils and big ag in farm land is night and day different from big woods.
Well, if someone is going to be a dolt and only review one source of information they deserve the outcome that they get. I learned long ago that you can learn something from just about anybody. You just have to learn to eat the meat and spit out the bones. Gather information from many sources. Then do some thinking to figure out what elements from each apply to your particular situation. Everyone has to do something to make a living. I don't hold that against them.

Well, if someone is going to be a dolt and only review one source of information they deserve the outcome that they get. I learned long ago that you can learn something from just about anybody. You just have to learn to eat the meat and spit out the bones. Gather information from many sources. Then do some thinking to figure out what elements from each apply to your particular situation. Everyone has to do something to make a living. I don't hold that against them.

Not my point. You can review all different kinds of push sources and you get nothing more than a bunch of independent push ideas. I'm not saying there is no value in those ideas. As I started my post I said "Lots of good and lots of not so good..."

What you get here is different ideas rubbing against each other. Multiple perspectives with point and counter point. You can weigh how post apply to your situation by the location and posting history of the poster. The more frequently I use the forum, the more perspective I get on each poster and the better I can weigh their content. Some things are well grounded in science and you can often find links to research. Much of what I see with the push information has a conclusion, mostly opinion, with a little cherry picked science when it support the idea and science ignored when it does not.

Not all push sources are the same. Some are much better than others, but in my opinion, a non-commercialized interactive forum like this with a mix of experience levels is the best resource available. Some are 80% good info and 20% hot air and others are 50% hot air, 25% bad information, and 25% good information.

You are right that everyone has to make a living. The folks selling snake oil on late night TV ads to improve your sex life are making a living. So is your physician. We don't equate information from both sources the same. I'm not saying that all push sources are snake oil salesmen. Take QDMA (now NDA) for example. They ran a great public forum. There push information from the web site was challenged buy members on the forum and folks doing QDM benefited significantly from that. The problem was that sponsors who took out ads in the magazine and such were not to happy when the forum would discuss how some products were significantly over prices or did not perform and alternative sources that were more effective at a lower cost. The decided they wanted to "control the message" and a public forum was not consistent with that. While that decision probably benefited the organization financially, it did a disservice to the members and mission of QDM.

This is just one example of how a great organization became a push-only source for information. No longer do we see critiques of products pushed by their sponsors and advertisers. So, let's take Joe Blow "Great Deer Web" (a fictions push site). The profit motive distorts the information. Attracting eyeballs to ads tends to make things more sensational and absolute rather than well balanced. A desire not to offend tones down negative comments. Techniques and strategies are sometimes designed around pitching product.

I'm not saying don't read or use those push resources. I'm saying before acting, come here to ask specific questions and get a variety of responses.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm not saying don't read or use those push resources. I'm saying before acting, come here to ask specific questions and get a variety of responses.

Thanks,

Jack

I appreciate your response and to me it shows one of the best attributes of a platform like this, the ability to have open discussion. I was never on the qdma forum so I do not have that past experience impacting my thoughts on this forum. It is not my intent to denigrate this forum or the people on it. Much of the value that I have found on this platform though is when people reference outside sources, not so much just their anecdotal stories. I am also a very visual learner so I find it much easier to watch several videos by several different people with varying viewpoints and then go to a forum to ask very specific questions, assuming I can't find my answer by searching the forum history. Either way you have to do the work of sorting through fact vs opinion and the conclusions drawn from those facts and opinions. Keeping questions very specific cuts down on the amount of unfounded opinion in my experience. Also, with a video, book or good podcast, the presenter tends to do a better job of staying on topic. Unlike here where I feel we have hijacked this gentleman's thread. That is why I like to point people to various outside sources for answers to broad questions. They are a place to start, not to end.