New field from existing weed field

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Hello again everyone,
Just trying to get my thoughts together for the spring. Most of our existing plots really only need over/frost seeded and sprayed but we have just gotten permission to plant a nice little 1.5 acre plot. This plot has been brush hogged recently (last fall or the fall before I believe) and has no huge weeds and is actually pretty flat. Most of the weeds I believe are broadleaf. My thought was to just frost seed a variety of red clover, aberlasting, ladino and alsike clover into it, then put some kind of grain (either rye, triticale or oats) a few weeks later to help it along. There are a lot of deer around, plus turkeys that wiped out a rye plot in this area because I didnt get the seed deep enough into the ground. See the table below for amounts, I know the amounts are high, but I will be frost seeding and I want the clover/grains to outcompete the weeds (I can and plan to spray)... what would be your suggestions on amounts/varieties of clover. (I will be getting a soil test once the foot of snow melts and the ground thaws as I know it will need lime, at the very least). I would really like to avoid haring/plowing this field and think the clover seeds would be small enough to work into the soil around the existing thatch.

3 lbs gallant red clover, 3 lbs aberlasting clover, 6lbs jumbo ladino clover, 12 lbs mammoth red clover, 6 lbs alsike clover, 200 lbs spring rye/oats/triticale

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would let the current weeds grow 6" tall next spring and then spray the whole field with round up. You could spray the field and broadcast your seed on the same day. That will give your broadcast seeds a fighting chance.

any specific kind/brand you would recommend? I have used Oasis in the past with good results
Commander is really good but I can never find it anymore. I also like the Whitetail Institute. Their chicory is the only BOB seed I consider worth the extra cost.

PS - if I planted that much grain per acre I would never see anything but the grains. Usually in a mix I consider 50 lbs of grain per acre about right.

Last edited:
I would let the current weeds grow 6" tall next spring and then spray the whole field with round up. You could spray the field and broadcast your seed on the same day. That will give your broadcast seeds a fighting chance.

This is the route I would go also.

I was planning to use IMOX as soon as I see the weeds starting to grow. This will be a first for me, as I have only ever spot-treated grass with a backpack sprayer. This year I'll be using an ATV sprayer. I was trying to avoid gly and multiple sprayings, but am hoping if I frost seed the clovers, then hit the weeds before they get started in earnest that I can have a decent stand...has anyone used IMOX with success in this manner?

I think your plan might work, but not as well as spraying everything with round-up first.

I have plenty of experience planting clover/alfalfa/chicory plots and weeds can take over pretty quickly if you don't start with a clean slate prior to planting. I start with round-up prior to planting and then use a grass selective herbicide to control grasses the next several years. After 3 years you can then spray the whole plot with a light dose of round-up and that will kill off all the weeds/grass, but the clover and chicory survive.

I think your plan might work, but not as well as spraying everything with round-up first.

I have plenty of experience planting clover/alfalfa/chicory plots and weeds can take over pretty quickly if you don't start with a clean slate prior to planting. I start with round-up prior to planting and then use a grass selective herbicide to control grasses the next several years. After 3 years you can then spray the whole plot with a light dose of round-up and that will kill off all the weeds/grass, but the clover and chicory survive.
I was a little worried about that...I've had tons of plots with great clover, but then they usually get overrun with weeds/lots of grass (consequently the deer eat pretty much everything but I would prefer the get better nutrition and eat the "better for them clover")....This is my great uncle's field so I don't know how he would feel about us nuking it...I guess I could always plant the clover a little later or even the day we spray with gly...

I was a little worried about that...I've had tons of plots with great clover, but then they usually get overrun with weeds/lots of grass (consequently the deer eat pretty much everything but I would prefer the get better nutrition and eat the "better for them clover")....This is my great uncle's field so I don't know how he would feel about us nuking it...I guess I could always plant the clover a little later or even the day we spray with gly...

You can always use cleth later to get the grass out of the clover stand. Safer alternative..

You can always use cleth later to get the grass out of the clover stand. Safer alternative..
thanks for the advice...im new to the spraying world (I was a bench chemist for 10 years though so I think I can handle the science part) and will try to do the best I can with the equipment I have...can I spray cleth later in to the spring (once I make sure the IMOX isnt just being slow)?--thanks

Yes, most effective during the growing season of whatever grass you're trying to kill. Cool season, etc.

thanks for the advice...im new to the spraying world (I was a bench chemist for 10 years though so I think I can handle the science part) and will try to do the best I can with the equipment I have...can I spray cleth later in to the spring (once I make sure the IMOX isnt just being slow)?--thanks
I love IMOX, but I think the label (depends what label you read) cautions against using it on seedling clover. I forget the threshold. Two or three trifoliate leaves? Personally, I only use it on well established, deep rooted perennial clovers - and I use rates higher than might be expected because of the timing of applications. Me, I always wait too long to spray. I can see weeds sneering at me. That means I'm behind. Also, I think IMOX will take out chicory anytime at any rate.

Recommended by many, glyphosate ahead of planting is a good suggestion. Get the competition out of the way ahead of time. Now, once my clovers are established I prefer IMOX. It provides good initial kill of the weeds it targets and it can provide residual control. I think the half-life is 35 to 50 days, more or less.

I love IMOX, but I think the label (depends what label you read) cautions against using it on seedling clover. I forget the threshold. Two or three trifoliate leaves? Personally, I only use it on well established, deep rooted perennial clovers - and I use rates higher than might be expected because of the timing of applications. Me, I always wait too long to spray. I can see weeds sneering at me. That means I'm behind. Also, I think IMOX will take out chicory anytime at any rate.

Recommended by many, glyphosate ahead of planting is a good suggestion. Get the competition out of the way ahead of time. Now, once my clovers are established I prefer IMOX. It provides good initial kill of the weeds it targets and it can provide residual control. I think the half-life is 35 to 50 days, more or less.
Thanks for the info! I was planning to spray real early so that may change things. I guess I could spray Cleth for the grass then mow the broadleaves and see how that works initially, then give it an IMOX spray at a higher rate later on when i see reemergent after a mowing or two..

Last edited: