New Clover Plot

landlubber

A good 3 year old buck
I've been reading on this forum for a long time soaking up as much as I can but have not contributed much. I thought I would share a big project of mine this year. I'm far from an expert here. I've got plenty to learn. Hopefully you find this as interesting as I do. Tips are welcome.

In the spring of 2016 my dad had the ash trees on his property removed while they still had timber value. As many are probably aware the emerald ash borer has devastated ash trees across the midwest. While shed hunting this past winter I got the idea of putting in a food plot in a section of the woods which was naturally open following the timber harvest (the area was a cow pasture 20 years ago). While there's plenty of food for the deer around us, I try to spend more time creating bedding cover, the nearby food doesn't set up well for hunting because it's either on the neighbor's (they hunt the prop line exclusively) or not great given the prevailing winds. My thought was I could clear off the natural opening, plant clover and see how/if the deer would utilize the plot. What I like is that the spot sets up well as there's plenty of cover to the NW and NE and some on the north edge. Also, I think I can get in/out easily without putting pressure on the deer using a ground blind. Worse case scenario was that the spot doesn't workout and I just let it transition naturally, which would be great bedding. So this is quite the experiment.

Here is a picture of the spot from the north facing SE that I took on January 7th of this year.

Here is a picture from the NW facing the south. My dad and I were just getting started clearing out the tree tops from the timber harvest (this ended up being way more work/time than expected). It was somehow still enjoyable.

This picture was taken on February 20th. I live nearly 2 hours from my dad's property so I'm limited on the time I have in doing habitat work. At this point we had the tree tops pretty much cleared out and we were starting to clear off the leaves. My dad hauled out the vast majority of the tree tops for firewood.

This picture was also taken on February 20th. You can see there's still some clearing that needs done. This view is the same view in pic #1 above. Quite a difference eh?

This picture was at the end of the day on February 20th looking from the south to the NE. The point of view here is looking out of the ground blind. That was a very busy day. I was exhausted.

I took the picture on March 3rd. The day I frost seeded the clover. This is from the SE looking NW.

Here's a pic from April 30th. As you can see things had filled in pretty nice. Unfortunately thats not all clover! There were plenty of weeds in there. I mowed the tallest of the weeds off this day.

On May 28th I went back and mowed yet again, this time a little bit lower. You can't tell from the pic but there was a good amount of clover growing but the weeds were thick. A week after this picture I went back up and sprayed the plot with 2-4DB.

Last edited:
i think you have done yourself a great service ...keep at it ...looking good...now you need some fruit trees on the edge of the plot

id like to hear and see the results of your spraying as well.....

i think you have done yourself a great service ...keep at it ...looking good...now you need some fruit trees on the edge of the plot

I wasn't ready to make that big of a commitment to this spot just yet. I have another larger and older (2 years) plot that I put in one of dad's old hay fields where I have 6 fruit trees (maybe I'll create a thread about that spot). This spot does have an old pear tree in that is loaded with fruit. The tree had had been tucked in there for years and never produced fruit that I'd seen. It's not a pretty tree but it's alive.

Last edited:
id like to hear and see the results of your spraying as well.....

I'll be back up this Sunday and get pictures after what it's looking like after having been sprayed.

This post is the reason why Paul Knox (Lickcreek) and many others recommend that you start your clover plots in the fall. By starting them in the fall, you don't have to fight spring and summer weeds. It is recommended that you do a soil sample early in the year, amend the soil as required, hit the area with glyphosate once you get a good green up and maybe once more prior to planting in the fall, disc, add a nurse crop of winter rye or winter wheat, cultipack, sow your clover and cultipack again. Clover will put on a good root system in the fall and it will explode and outcompete weeds and grasses the next spring and summer. By preparing the plot and planting in the fall, it eliminates early mowing and spraying the first year and allows the clover to thicken quickly the first spring.

Good point and that makes a lot of sense.
Come fall I'm hunting, not working/planting foodplots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That spring planted plot will be just fine. May not see much affect from 24db for a few weeks but by sept I'm willing to bet it's a great stand. I agree fall planted is certainly easier and cheaper with no herbicide. But some times you have to do "when" you can. I've done both ways with success.

Thanks guys for not taking my previous post as a harsh post. I was just stating that it's easier to start in the fall, less failure, doesn't require labor mowing or application of chemicals the first year. When we talk about planting the clover in the fall, it normally means August or September depending on your first frost date. You want the clover actively growing by your first frost. Here's a PIC of a Durana plot, in May, that was planted the previous September. As you can see it has filled in very nicely and doesn't have any weeds.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Looks nice bbcoach.

I'm doing a good bit of experimenting with the equipment I have and acquiring additional equipment when I have the opportunity.
This plot was all done with an ATV, Chainsaw, rakes and elbow grease. I don't have a cultipacker or drill. I just acquired the atv this past February along with a 15 gallon sprayer shortly thereafter.

My dad told me today that the 24db is showing results (it's been nearly 3 weeks). I do have a trail cam on the plot so I'll try and share some trail cam pics and closeup clover pics.

Yours looks Great as well. This shooting lane was accomplished the same way you started yours. Cleaned up, ATV disced, added 6000 lbs of lime by trailering it in (4.7 ph to start), sprayed twice with glyphosate, disced again just before planting, added winter rye, ran the atv over it to pack it and sowed the Durana. Very satisfying results.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for not taking my previous post as a harsh post.

Sometimes the truth is harsh..but I didn't think your post was. You're right fall is better. Just sometimes "time" is the issue and better doesn't work.

Was up at the farm on Father's day to replant my EW on my original clover plot. I had first planted the EW on 5/28 but the seed must've been bad and few germinated.

The groundhogs are certainly enjoying it. I've shot 1 out of the plot with my 50 cal muzzyloader so far and my dad got one with his 22-250. I know there's more. I've got plenty of trailcam videos of the buggars.

Still have a few more weeds than I'd like after spraying the Butyrac200. I haven't checked the label yet but can I spray another application without causing unwanted harm?

Here's a closeup.

Clarify your EW planting. I am guessing that you are talking about Egyptian wheat.

Clarify your EW planting. I am guessing that you are talking about Egyptian wheat.

Correct, I am referring to Egyptian Wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you plant? Was it for a screen, or something else?

I was planting a screen. I had planted the same area in years' past so the ground was pretty lose. I sprayed with gly 2 weeks before planting then had a buddy plant the seed with his drill. He planted some egyptian wheat at his place the following day on ground he had disced. The germination was so spotty he figured it had to be a seed issue so he replanted his then replanted mine. He replanted his 2.5 weeks ago and it's doing well and 3" tall. Mine was planted 1.5 weeks ago and is just over 1" tall.

Here is a POV pic I'm trying to block.

Original%20Clover%203.jpg

Glad that it is working. That is some pretty impressive growth.