Neighbors harvested beans already

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Seems super early. Someone with some farming knowledge, could you educate me on this? Is this just a case of early beans reaching maturity or is this a product of our exceptional drought? My beans are still green and probably won’t be ready till November if I had to guess. Summer started pretty nicely and around mid July it’s completely turned off with no rain for roughly 40 days now. @BuckSutherland @Mortenson @FarmerDan

Sounds like they just planted an early bean. Probably to spread out the harvest window. I planted all early beans for my part of MN. Planted a 1.0 relative maturity bean this year. 1.5-2.0 is more typical for my area. I should be harvesting in 10-12 days. Oct 1 is much more normal for my area. I wanted to get done sooner this year.

Sounds like they just planted an early bean. Probably to spread out the harvest window. I planted all early beans for my part of MN. Planted a 1.0 relative maturity bean this year. 1.5-2.0 is more typical for my area. I should be harvesting in 10-12 days. Oct 1 is much more normal for my area. I wanted to get done sooner this year.
Thanks for the explanation. I’m in west/southern ky if that matters. I just can’t remember seeing them go that early. With that said, is it most likely that they will follow this field with wheat now that they have so much time?

Agree with Buck. Most regions typically have a sweet spot for which maturity range will do best on an average year. In my area, 2.8-3.2 would be considered the upper range of what typically yields best. We have a farm with 2.5 just to get started. Then in a perfect world the 2.7, then 2.8 and so on will fall in line and be ready each new day. If it stops raining in late summer, the early beans can yield better. If it doesn't rain all summer, then starts raining in August or early Sept, the long beans should do better. Guys in arid climates sometimes plant long season beans late, hoping to take advantage of that type weather scenario. Unrelated, but interesting, is that soybean breeders have been changing the leaf structure on newer beans. Nowadays the top of the plant in late summer will have thinner, smaller leaves to allow for more sunlight to reach down into the plant. Older varieties would look like a giant bush on top, and probably be taller (also breeding for shorter plants) and result in premature leaf senescence in the lower canopy during seed fill.

Can you explain to me those numbers? 2.5, 2.8?

Just refers to their maturity. Soybeans are a photoperiod plant. Hours of daylight for flowering, and then to stop flowering. 2.5s here are turning yellow. 3.0s are grass green yet. Planting date will also influence that to a degree. I've heard if you take a specific bean and plant the field, but plant the last pass a month later with the same bean, that it will be ripened only a week behind the first part. Kinda in theory anyhow.

But does 2.5 mean number months to maturity or is it some scientific number a lab guy only knows what it actually means?

My guess is with the early harvest they will plant some form of cover or cash crop with the remaining growing season. Especially in Kentucky, you guys probably have 70+ days until first frost.

My guess is with the early harvest they will plant some form of cover or cash crop with the remaining growing season. Especially in Kentucky, you guys probably have 70+ days until first frost.
Don’t you put that evil on us. I pray we don’t have to wait 70 days for our first frost. That is mid November. Usually we start mid October.

Interesting. I thought farmers wanted them to dry down some more before harvest but maybe i'm thinking more about corn.

Interesting. I thought farmers wanted them to dry down some more before harvest but maybe i'm thinking more about corn.
Any bean you harvest under 13% you're losing money on. Timing is important. Harvesting 9% beans sucks. But if it's a 90 degree, breezy Sept day and the beanfield is ready, we do it anyway. A few might choose to let them go, catch a rain on them, and catch them on the next drydown. I know it's all different for edibles and such.

Don’t you put that evil on us. I pray we don’t have to wait 70 days for our first frost. That is mid November. Usually we start mid October.
Serious? That's the same as here in MN.

Serious? That's the same as here in MN.
Maybe a week later than I said. Just looked and the closest I could get easy data was Paducah. We might be a hair cooler than them on average. Something about that flat river bottom land is bit warmer than my hilly country.
IMG_5434.png

Beans that are too moist (18%ish) get damaged during harvest. Beans that are too dry can shell out of the pod and end up on the ground, reducing yields.