Need to buy some willows

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I need to plant a few willows (or possibly something else) in a wet spot to block the view from another property. Can anyone recommend a good variety and place to buy them? Something that gets 10 feet tall would be ideal. I would rather not have something that gets extremely tall, but might change my mind if you have a good recommendation.

Has anyone planted any of these? >>>>> https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/product/sandbar-willow-salix-interior/

I don't have those. But when I get to the farm I can cut you some Dappled Willow cuttings. Salix Integra
Might be to pink in the spring for Kentucky. I wouldn't want anyone talking about you:emoji_laughing:

bigrock has cuttings or like mentioned just cut your own and stick in the ground

Would tulip poplars topped to produce lots of shoots accomplish the same thing? Or maybe redbuds?

Would tulip poplars topped to produce lots of shoots accomplish the same thing? Or maybe redbuds?

It’s too wet there for them. But tag alder would probably work.

I need to plant a few willows (or possibly something else) in a wet spot to block the view from another property. Can anyone recommend a good variety and place to buy them? Something that gets 10 feet tall would be ideal. I would rather not have something that gets extremely tall, but might change my mind if you have a good recommendation.

Has anyone planted any of these? >>>>> https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/product/sandbar-willow-salix-interior/
Sandbar willows create excellent screening. Everything from pheasants to coyotes to deer enjoy the heck out of mine. I think you're on the right track.

I got sandbar cuttings through MDC last spring. Shoved them in beside a small wet weather spring and threw a cage on them. Not a lot of growth but they have all survived.20220210_114853_HDR.jpg

Looks like MDC (Mo) still has them available

I've heard spicebush can stand wet feet pretty well, and I've got a ton of it. You're more than welcome to get as much as you want from my place.

I've heard spicebush can stand wet feet pretty well, and I've got a ton of it. You're more than welcome to get as much as you want from my place.

Thanks Ben. I may get with you later about that. I could trade you some of those arrowwood viburnums from my place.

@Native Hunter I remembered about this thread, and thought I'd update it. I found some that are extremely easy to grow and are a really great native species. I planted some black willows that rooted without any help and very poor cutting technique with almost 100% survival. My technique was tearing a pinky size branch of about 24 inches long and sticking about 6-8 inches of it in the mud. Black Willow (Salix nigra) loves damp areas.

@Native Hunter I remembered about this thread, and thought I'd update it. I found some that are extremely easy to grow and are a really great native species. I planted some black willows that rooted without any help and very poor cutting technique with almost 100% survival. My technique was tearing a pinky size branch of about 24 inches long and sticking about 6-8 inches of it in the mud. Black Willow (Salix nigra) loves damp areas.
Thank you Ben.