Mycorrhizal fungi on roots

letemgrow

5 year old buck +
Surprised to see these little guys hanging out on paw paws and some hybrid Ozark Chinquapins from seeds I potted this spring.

cae90a3ded7e261c1a91b1d08b085038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool

I’ve been ordering mycorrhizal root dip for my trees when I plant them this is pretty interesting to me. I have planted some without it and would like to direct inject some into the soil around those trees just haven’t ironed out the best way to accomplish this or if just dropping a table spoon of the dip at the base of each tree would work??? Anybody tried anything like this???

I’ve been ordering mycorrhizal root dip for my trees when I plant them this is pretty interesting to me. I have planted some without it and would like to direct inject some into the soil around those trees just haven’t ironed out the best way to accomplish this or if just dropping a table spoon of the dip at the base of each tree would work??? Anybody tried anything like this???
AM Leonard sells this in packets

I have no experience

I do love their catalogue!

bill

Have you figured out a way to do this?

I didn't have the foresight to dip in mycorrhizae prior to planting so now what I did is ordered a bag of endo/ecto from AM leonard. I saw there is an outfit in europe that makes an injector that sends it into the roots.

I noticed a few trees that were looking weak out of the many I planted this spring, and what I did was added a bit to water to create a slurry of mycorrhizae and I used a soil probe to get into where the root system was, and I took a few ounces of the slurry and added to the root zone. Purely a test. The ground is awfully saturated so i'm not even sure it will soak in by 2024 lol. I have > 100 nursery stock trees I'd like to do this with by adding a bag of this stuff to a watering drum and going tree to tree and getting these things in the best shape possible.

What I did was go out after a rainy week used a steel bar maybe 1”x 5’ pushed it into the soft ground near the base of my trees and used an oil suction gun to shoot a little of the root dip in each hole. It worked ok.

What I did was go out after a rainy week used a steel bar maybe 1”x 5’ pushed it into the soft ground near the base of my trees and used an oil suction gun to shoot a little of the root dip in each hole. It worked ok.

Did you do it this year? were you able to see any difference in plant response vs an untreated tree?

I did do it this year I really don’t know that I could notice any difference but since I had the root dip anyway I went ahead and did it to the trees that didn’t get dipped at planting time. I hope there is something to the science and it did them some good.

I didn’t root dip my white oak plantings of spring 2021 and had a 35% mortality rate. I’ve planted many red oaks this year and did dip them but haven’t figured first year mortality on them yet.