My Plan

Early Bird

5 year old buck +
I have 3 weekends to complete my food plot (one acre). This plot was cleared this year and will be the first planting. Here is my plan:

July 27/28- Spray field with Gly to kill weeds.
August 10/11- Lightly Disc add lime.
Labor day weekend:
Friday- Spray/fertilize/lightly disc
Saturday or Sunday- Plant wheat,Rye,clover and cultipack.

Does this sound ok? Can I spray and plant my mix the same weekend with no adverse results?

Thanks,
Ray

Depending how much horsepower you have, if you are going to disc, I'd disc first, then spray the next few times to control weeds. No real advantage to spraying then discing as you are going to bring up new weed seeds. In the past, I've usually disc in early july then very lightly in august just before planting. I've got some pretty good soil so tillage worked. Going to try Throw and mow this year to see how it works out.

I do not have a tractor only an ATV with the Tarter disc/cultipacker combo. I don't think it will do a whole lot without killing weeds first.

Ray

I'd agree. Another option would be to spray now and in a month or so spread your seed, cultipack and spray again if you've had any regrowth. Take a look at the throw and mow thread.
Discing requires a lot of weight moving at a fairly decent clip to help break things up to be successful. You might have better luck getting good seed to soil contact by laying the thatch down on top of your seed rather than trying to mix it into the top 1 or 2 inches of soil with an ATV disc.

At this late date .... simplify ...

I would spray early 7/28, then either late on 7/28 (if weeds are dry) or 7/29 over seed with 2-3 lbs red clover & 2-3 lbs of PTT and cultipack the same day.

Labor day ... broadcast 60-100 lbs of WR. WR is heavy enough you don't need to cultipack and will germinate as long as it has ground contact.

Thanks for the replies so far. Is there any problem with spraying and planting in the same weekend?

No, as long as the sprayed weeds are dry so the seed does not stick to them when broadcasted.

Only caveat would be how thick of coverage are the existing weeds/grasses?

Thanks for all the help all, much appreciated.

Ray

Any thoughts on spraying Gly on Friday and lightly discing on Sunday if the weeds are not to thick?

Disking is just gonna release new seeds to germinate. Spray and then broadcast you seed. Mow or roll on top. Read throw and mow thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 weekends to complete my food plot (one acre). This plot was cleared this year and will be the first planting. Here is my plan:

July 27/28- Spray field with Gly to kill weeds.
August 10/11- Lightly Disc add lime.
Labor day weekend:
Friday- Spray/fertilize/lightly disc
Saturday or Sunday- Plant wheat,Rye,clover and cultipack.

Does this sound ok? Can I spray and plant my mix the same weekend with no adverse results?

Thanks,
Ray

I didn't have time to read through the whole thread, so others may have covered this. Here are my thoughts:

The first thing I'd look at is the pH. if you pH is significantly low, it will take some time to correct. You will want to get the lime down as soon as possible. If your soil is sandy, you will only want to top-dress. If your soil is heavy clay, lightly disking after applying lime won't hurt, but make sure it is light. If you soil is primarily loam with good OM, you probably have little to worry about. If you pH is much below 6, I'd select plants that do well in poor pH and infertile soil. I would not waste time with perennial clover this year if the pH is significantly low and I'd skip the Winter Wheat and go with winter Rye only. It will fair better.

If your pH is reasonable, your crop selection is fine. One thing I'd look at is how bad the weeds are. If it was cleared this year, you may not need the first application of gly if you are going to disk lightly. Disking will disrupt many of the weeds. I would still spray at planting time because some weeds will still be actively growing after light disking. Depending on the specific weeds, this may be enough. If you have a specific problematic weed you are dealing with it is a different story. You can spray gly at planting time with no problems.

You said you have 3 weekends but did not say if you were flexible in choosing them. Keep in mind weather is an issue. The worst thing you can do is to get equipment on a wet field, especially if you have clay soils. You can do more harm than good. On the other hand, planting right before a good rain, can erase many mistakes. If possible, I'd start watching the weather forecast. If you have no rain in sight labor day weekend, I'd wait a week and check the weather again before planting if possible.

Best of Luck,

Jack

Thank you Jack! Great info.

Ray