My Pear Trees Decided to Self Prune This Year

DrDirtNap

5 year old buck +
It has been a banner year for pear production in North MS. I hope I can get these trees back in shape without too much damage.
72bfde3259ed274b10b2da7661a9b5ae.jpg

940c622b063c43b6e59f169dfb25e8f0.jpg

58d710842318abda57f05f74c9f85a1c.jpg

1ca51d2cd801db33023a3ef5dd800e70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of pear tree is that ?

My pear trees that were loaded like that, that I didn't have metal tubes around the trunk last fall all got broken limbs from the coons climbing them to get to pears. The ones where I had the metal tubes around trunks(furnace conduit tubes, can't think of the real name now) were unscathed. Ran out of tubes and time last fall and it cost me.

What type of pear tree is that ?

I have many different pear tree varieties. Most have come from the Wildlife Group nursery.

Reactions: BOC
My pear trees that were loaded like that, that I didn't have metal tubes around the trunk last fall all got broken limbs from the coons climbing them to get to pears. The ones where I had the metal tubes around trunks(furnace conduit tubes, can't think of the real name now) were unscathed. Ran out of tubes and time last fall and it cost me.

I know the coons are having a hey day in my trees and I’m sure they have caused a lot of the damage.
So are you using regular stove pipe?

I know it's been talked about here. I also need the added protection from coon damage in the near future. What exactly is the best practice to keep coons from destroying fruit trees? Assume they can't all be killed or trapped. So stove pipe around the trunk of all fruit trees? I feel like cages, aluminum screen, weed control are all known now as best practices. I'd like to add the coon step. Those are some nice pear trees btw. You must be growing them right.

Yes sir, I get mine at Menard's. You may have to online order the size you need if they are bigger trunked trees. I haven't had a branch broken on the ones I've protected. The late hard frosts killed fruit production this year basically so I didn't put pipe on all the unprotected ones yet. I have about 10 more to go.

Yes sir, I get mine at Menard's. You may have to online order the size you need if they are bigger trunked trees. I haven't had a branch broken on the ones I've protected. The late hard frosts killed fruit production this year basically so I didn't put pipe on all the unprotected ones yet. I have about 10 more to go.

So how are you using the pipe? Are you hanging it from the first set of limbs by wire? How long is the pipe you are using ? Thanks.

So how are you using the pipe? Are you hanging it from the first set of limbs by wire? How long is the pipe you are using ? Thanks.

I use 2' sections, drill a hole through on each side, cut a piece of hose approx 18 or what fits for that tree", run a wire througjh it, and as you thought, hang it from first set of limbs. It ends up with the bottom of the pipe being approx 16 to 20" off the ground. The top of the pipe is about 40" off the ground.

Thanks for the good explanation of how to hang the pipe willy. In my rush, I just tacked the sections of pipe to the tree itself. Your way is so much better, I'll (try to) do it right going forward!

That is a great pear tree DrDirtNap.... too good some years!

I use 2' sections, drill a hole through on each side, cut a piece of hose approx 18 or what fits for that tree", run a wire througjh it, and as you thought, hang it from first set of limbs. It ends up with the bottom of the pipe being approx 16 to 20" off the ground. The top of the pipe is about 40" off the ground.
Willy , sometime in the future if you have time , and don't mind can you snap a photo of this set up you use ? . My trees are young and still have cages around them, so coons can climb right up the cage. But when my trees get bigger I'm sure I'll need your set up

Willy , sometime in the future if you have time , and don't mind can you snap a photo of this set up you use ? . My trees are young and still have cages around them, so coons can climb right up the cage. But when my trees get bigger I'm sure I'll need your set up

Will do. I was talking with my neighbor yesterday when I told him his cows were still out and in my food plots. He's a great neighbor and we had a long conversation. He was amazed at the condition of my soybeans and all the fruit trees on the place. He said I gotta ask, whats with the pipes around the tree trunks. I told him and he had the ah ha moment/look.

He got the cows in but they were out again today enjoying my good eats. He's back at em again. I offered to help him but he thought my new face might scare them more than help. It is cow/calf pairs.

This is not my idea but one that was shared on this forum or another habitat forum. It is a genius, simple solution to the coon problem. No bucks have rubbed on them either.tree3.jpgtree4.jpg

Thanks Willy , now I know exactly what you are talking about !. Where is the cheapest place to get pipe like that ?

I dont know cheapest but menards is where I get them. They were on sale in the spring.

big orange home store sells that pipe.

This is not my idea but one that was shared on this forum or another habitat forum. It is a genius, simple solution to the coon problem. No bucks have rubbed on them either.View attachment 31192View attachment 31193

Based on the coon tracks on that pipe I’m not so sure they haven’t been able to get past it. They sure have been trying that’s for sure.