Muscadine / Wild Grape for Food Plots

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
I have a muscadine vine in my yard that is absolutely loaded this year.

It got me thinking about adding them to my food plots / tree plots.

Was thinking of making a trellis on trees and letting them run the trellis.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any sucess?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

For birds or deer?

For deer.

I wouldn't put them on fruit trees, but no harm in using grapes in food plots. Be aware that birds also go for them big time.

Great point. Would let them climb the pine trees / trellis. (Trellis created with wire between pine trees).

Currently my plots are bordered by pines.

Just dont plan on having any for yourself ....... mine dont last long

bill

Just know older vines can scar and choke younger timber…it can wrap around stems like an anaconda. And Treedaddy is right…EVERYTHING eats a muscadine or scuppernong.

Great point. Would let them climb the pine trees / trellis. (Trellis created with wire between pine trees).

Currently my plots are bordered by pines.

Worth a try. Deer get into my Concord grape even though it is on a trellis on the garage wall and covered with netting.

Deer like eating grape leaves but dont expect trees to tolerate being covered up by vines more than a few years. They will get snuffed out and croak in short order. I think sacrificing a few isolated ones maybe provides some good browse. Allowing vines to spread into a large group of trees I think is ill advised. Kinda like thinking this kudzu is great stuff....not.

I would be very careful with wild grape. Ive got it bad, it chokes out everything and grows so fast its all but impossible to keep up with. I deffinately would not advise ptting it into a stand of trees.
A trellis on its own might work though. As long as you can keep it from spreading.
Ive seen birds use it but never deer. I'll have to watch closer from now on.

I have a wild grape growing on my back fence that gets browsed hard. There isn't any ag within a few miles, my girls are not picky.20210903_072139_HDR.jpg

I'd be very carefule
I have a muscadine vine in my yard that is absolutely loaded this year.

It got me thinking about adding them to my food plots / tree plots.

Was thinking of making a trellis on trees and letting them run the trellis.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any sucess?

I'd be very careful adding vining grapes to your property. I have spent years trying to eradicate them from mine. The seed gets spread by birds. They grow at the base of other trees and can quickly overtake the trees canopy eventually killing the tree. I have seen vines up to 4" in diameter.