MOUSE HOARDING SEED in WISCONSIN???

ajtxwi

5 year old buck +
MOUSE HOARDING ??? - we were away from the house for a couple months and found what might be a hoard of seed (stashed by mice?) in our pillow cases. Yuck! These “look” like seed… Have you ever seen something like this? These little shiny things are about 1/8-inch in diameter, generally flat and all of them have a little point. seed.jpg

Persimmon seed?

Persimmon seed?
not likely... I should have clarified. found in Wisconsin. Any other guesses are welcome! Thank you.

Watermelon 🍉

I'm not sure what those could be. Plant some and find out.

Yup, they look like a type of melon seed to me.
might be some type of melon... watermelon is not it. These seeds are about a quarter the size of a watermelon seed. These seeds are only about 1/8 inch in diameter.

I'm not sure what those could be. Plant some and find out.
I think that is the right option - just have to wait until the spring. Or, I might be able to put them under a grow light. Huh.

Not sure. You better sleep on it. lol
Hey! That's actually pretty funny. Seeds were only found in the wife's pillow - she did not think it was so funny. LOL. We'll figure it out.

Don‘t feel bad, I had a mouse problem in my detached garage so I put out some mouse bait. They didn’t die in the garage or outside, they died in the ceiling of my entry way. I had to tear down the ceiling it smelled so bad and about 5 pounds of crimson clover seed that I had stored in the garage came down on top of me. Seems mice will store a big hoard of seed for the winter if they find a stash. LOL

Smartweed seeds?

one thing I can't stand is mice! Hopefully you figure out where they are coming from. I accidentally spilled diesel fuel by my cabin and on my truck bed and annedotely it's repelling them.

Smartweed seeds?
I think that is it!!!!! I had actually taken a picture of some Low Smartweed back in August on our property. Awesome!

Don‘t feel bad, I had a mouse problem in my detached garage so I put out some mouse bait. They didn’t die in the garage or outside, they died in the ceiling of my entry way. I had to tear down the ceiling it smelled so bad and about 5 pounds of crimson clover seed that I had stored in the garage came down on top of me. Seems mice will store a big hoard of seed for the winter if they find a stash. LOL
Five pounds... oh my. Yes, our "problem" is much smaller than that story, but I need to stay on top of it - I just wish I could find the entry point. I am thankful though; their hoarding is pretty non-destructive (except for that water line they tapped a couple years ago).

I had a nest and seed horde in my empire vented heater twice at my old cabin. The first time, I only figured it out when I couldn’t keep the heater lit. That was a horrible stink and a cold night with my tool kit disassembling, cleaning and reassembling that darn thing.

After that I always inspected before I lit it up. Once it happened twice I got smart and installed a screen on the exterior vent.

The siding in the cabin was T1-11 and rough enough for them to climb in order to find their way in. I suspect metal siding also would have solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five pounds... oh my. Yes, our "problem" is much smaller than that story, but I need to stay on top of it - I just wish I could find the entry point. I am thankful though; their hoarding is pretty non-destructive (except for that water line they tapped a couple years ago).
I didn’t count every one but there were at least 20-25 mice making a home in the insulation. That’s all they did all day and night was move seed from the garage to the ceiling in the house. Would have never known they were there if I didn’t put out the poison and they died. I just use traps now. Learned my lesson

The traps that lead into a bucket of antifreeze seem highly effective for absentee owners. I had a slight mouse problem in our current home I finally fixed it. Wife was one mouse away from burning the house down.

I had a nest and seed horde in my empire vented heater twice at my old cabin. The first time, I only figured it out when I couldn’t keep the heater lit. That was a horrible stink and a cold night with my tool kit disassembling, cleaning and reassembling that darn thing.

After that I always inspected before I lit it up. Once it happened twice I got smart and installed a screen on the exterior vent.

The siding in the cabin was T1-11 and rough enough for them to climb in order to find their way in. I suspect metal siding also would have solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing worse than trying to fix some type of device that helps you mitigate the cold or heat! If I could just locate the entry point, I might be able to use some type of metal siding or sheet metal (slippery stuff) to stop them... for now, we are living together, and my little traps are taking out one at a time (while they are reproducing two at a time).

The traps that lead into a bucket of antifreeze seem highly effective for absentee owners. I had a slight mouse problem in our current home I finally fixed it. Wife was one mouse away from burning the house down.
I have seen several "bucket" solutions, but had not considered antifreeze. I might try that as I have an active attic space that would not mind an extra bucket.