Mounting a skull

TMIL

5 year old buck +
I guess the project forum is the place for this question. I went European with the big weirdo I killed this year. I've decided on a way to display it.

I'm wanting to do something like this:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1137664

My question ... is balancing the skull on a dowel the best way to do this? My skull is going to be much heavier than that one. How do you guys hang a skull?

I'm going to use an old fence post. The deer I shot was standing inside the old hog lot fence. There is an old wood post already rotted of at the ground. It still has the steeples in it. I nearly shot over the top of the post when I shot the deer. And I won't have to make my own barbed wire or go to the craft store for moss or wheat. Haha!

Do you want it to hang straight down like the pictured skull? Or do you want the skull to set with the nose up slightly, kind of like a mounted deer? If the latter I can get you a relatively inexpensive hanger and send it to you with your trees. Otherwise the shipping is likely going to be as much as the hanger. Your dowl wood work as well if you want to make it a strictly a do it yourself project. Just a little harder to get that lifted nose.

I think the nose-up would show off that freaky blade better. Let me know what you can get Chris, shipping with the trees sounds like a real good plan.

That looks great!
I have always wanted to rip a red cedar timber down to fit perfectly in a corner then hang all my euro's on it for display.