Morse Nursery

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I've seen some good reviews , and seen more bad reviews about Morse Nursery. Their Hybrid pears look interesting , but I read a review that the seedlings they send out are only 2-3 inches tall lol . I find that hard to believe, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone has experience with Morse good or bad. https://morsenursery.com/product-category/fruit/pear/hybrid-pear/

Charlie is quite the snake oil salesmen. Talked to him personally before I bought and he made me a believer ... yes the seedlings were 2-3" and every one failed.

This is a get the popcorn thread ... :emoji_grin:

I had good luck with them! Spring of 2018, I bought 4 apple trees (2 year old whips, all approx 4-5’ tall), 2 persimmons (1’ or less) and 4 pear trees (2 year old whips, same 4-5’ tall)

I took care of/watered religiously that first year, but still One of the trees died, a wild pear. He replaced it in the spring of 2019 for free. Everything else has done amazing, I had to prune back a lot of wild growth this winter as they were getting out of control and leaning, etc. Two of the kieffer pears, the central leaders are over 12’ tall and both trees produced 6-10 full size pears last year (pulled them off because they were causing the tree to lay over bad)

I can’t say anything bad about them, I had good success and he took care of me with the dead tree, can’t ask for more than that!

Last edited:
My Club bought some of his yellow and red crabs last year, they all made it through the summer and Fall. Whips is a good description. We had to support many of them inside the deer fence we protect them with just to get them to remain upright but this week I ventured out to see how they were doing and all of them I visited (about 8) are stable enough it appears after one year of growth to stand on their own.

Charlie is quite the snake oil salesmen. Talked to him personally before I bought and he made me a believer ... yes the seedlings were 2-3" and every one failed.

This is a get the popcorn thread ... :emoji_grin:
LOL yeah in the review I saw somebody described him as a snake oil salesman....They ordered $500.00 worth of trees from Morse and they weren't happy with the product. Even here it's still about 50/50 or 60/40 with the reviews on Morse . IF I do order I'd only get 4 or 5 hybrid pear seedlings to try out....depending on how much shipping is. NativeNurseries is probably a better deal at around $5.89 for a pear seedling, Morse is $11 something .

LOL yeah in the review I saw somebody described him as a snake oil salesman....They ordered $500.00 worth of trees from Morse and they weren't happy with the product. Even here it's still about 50/50 or 60/40 with the reviews on Morse . IF I do order I'd only get 4 or 5 hybrid pear seedlings to try out....depending on how much shipping is. NativeNurseries is probably a better deal at around $5.89 for a pear seedling, Morse is $11 something .

You may also want to consider Stark's Nursery.

Another I have had success with is Wallace Woodstock nursery here in Wis. Bought 8 pear trees 4 years ago and only one have the top graft fail.

I bought 4 trees from him in the Spring of 2013. 2 turned out pretty well - the other 2 not so much. The 2 good ones have been Nova Scotia crab apple and Morse hybrid pear. Both of those have done well and have fruited with nice-sized fruit. The pear fruit is round, about 2" dia. The Nova Scotia crab is about a 1 1/2" dia. apple. Both trees are about 12 to 13 ft. tall and well-branched. No complaints about either of those 2 trees. I don't know if he still handles those same varieties.

The 2 that haven't been so hot are both Whitney crabs. They've been SLOW to grow and produce. Morse's grafts were very high up on the rootstocks on those 2 Whitney crabs. I don't know if that made the difference or not. Other folks have good luck with Whitney crabs from other nurseries.

I bought 4 trees from him in the Spring of 2013. 2 turned out pretty well - the other 2 not so much. The 2 good ones have been Nova Scotia crab apple and Morse hybrid pear. Both of those have done well and have fruited with nice-sized fruit. The pear fruit is round, about 2" dia. The Nova Scotia crab is about a 1 1/2" dia. apple. Both trees are about 12 to 13 ft. tall and well-branched. No complaints about either of those 2 trees. I don't know if he still handles those same varieties.

The 2 that haven't been so hot are both Whitney crabs. They've been SLOW to grow and produce. Morse's grafts were very high up on the rootstocks on those 2 Whitney crabs. I don't know if that made the difference or not. Other folks have good luck with Whitney crabs from other nurseries.
Bowsnbucks what's the drop time on your Morse Hybrid pear ?.

Those long January nights broke me down and weakened me into drinking the koolaid. A little pricey but they sound hot. I'm a sucker for snake oil disguised as disease resistant fruit trees. Screenshot_20210317-194622_Chrome.jpg

Maybe you will get a great tree or two Duck Creek. However since the trees are not grafted then they must come from seed and if they do come from seed, until they are full grown their disease resistance abilities would be unknown. Wouldn't they?

Bowsnbucks what's the drop time on your Morse Hybrid pear ?.
It drops randomly from the end of September through October.

It drops randomly from the end of September through October.
Thanks their website says " October, November and December " November and December would have been great for me

Maybe you will get a great tree or two Duck Creek. However since the trees are not grafted then they must come from seed and if they do come from seed, until they are full grown their disease resistance abilities would be unknown. Wouldn't they?
Yep, you are correct. They should have a lot of similarities to there mother. I should have said low maintenance. I'm fixing on putting them in some lower quality soil with a cage, widow screen, and weed mat. I'll check on them a couple times a year.

Those long January nights broke me down and weakened me into drinking the koolaid. A little pricey but they sound hot. I'm a sucker for snake oil disguised as disease resistant fruit trees. View attachment 33932
Let us know what they look like when you receive them

Thanks their website says " October, November and December " November and December would have been great for me
They MAY hang & drop later, but we have coons, ravens, crows, squirrels, etc. , that'll eat them off the tree and we don't know when they clean them up. The drop times I gave you may not be the end of the story because of the critters. The info I gave you is just what I've observed myself - and I don't live close to our camp to see the day-to-day changes. FWIW.

I’ve had good luck with the stuff I bought from Morse. I’ve moved past his product tho into other areas now. The apple trees from seed are like buying a lottery ticket: you never know what they’re going to turn into.

I’d go with it being neutral far as to buy or not buy from Morse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in a bit colder climate than Morse and have had very poor luck.

I did learn about growing from seed from Charlie, but can grow better adapted trees from my own seed.

Live and learn. Some of my seedlings are bird crabs also, a few aren’t hardy. Many more of Morse are failures.

The same for oaks and apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those long January nights broke me down and weakened me into drinking the koolaid. A little pricey but they sound hot. I'm a sucker for snake oil disguised as disease resistant fruit trees. View attachment 33932
Did you ever receive your pears, of so how did they rate ?

Not yet, I will let you know.