Morse Hybrid Pear

gunfun13

5 year old buck +
For those that have this pear, what are you experiencing for fruit size?

A few years ago, a young hybrid pear was a little too close to a switch grass burn and top killed. It sent up new sprouts about 18" high on the trunk , which I thought was above the graft, so I pruned to one leader and let it got for 3-4 years now. It's grown ok, and has quite a bit a fruit right now that is about nickel size. I know we have some season left but I expected a little bigger fruit size, even for this time of year. I've also notice that some of Morses grafts are very high, wondering now if maybe its just the rootstock I have growing.

We have 1 at camp. It gets pears about 2" to 2 1/2" in dia. And you're right about Morse grafts being very high. I got 4 trees from Morse about 9 years ago and the grafts were ALL high on the rootstock. Out of the 4 Morse trees, the hybrid pear and the Nova Scotia crab are the only ones that have done well. The other 2 - not so good.

Anything in particular bad about high grafts?

Anything in particular bad about high grafts?
Not really but there are a few reasons.

One thing would be keeping the rootstock from sending out branches below the graft union and possibly taking over if it were more vigorous.

Another would be if the rootstock was highly susceptible to fireblight. An infection entering a rootstock leaf could kill the whole tree.

And like here, common damage could mean there is only rootstock left and the scion variety is gone. I had a tree hit with fireblight in the central leader that I had to cut it off about 8” above ground. With 6” of scion left, I had 2 buds push the next year to regrow the tree.

Pears are gaining size, pretty confident now that it is the hybrid pear growing out and not the rootstock.
You got fruit on a smaller / younger tree than we did.

A few years ago, a young hybrid pear was a little too close to a switch grass burn and top killed. It sent up new sprouts about 18" high on the trunk , which I thought was above the graft, so I pruned to one leader and let it got for 3-4 years now. It's grown ok, and has quite a bit a fruit right now that is about nickel size. I know we have some season left but I expected a little bigger fruit size, even for this time of year. I've also notice that some of Morses grafts are very high, wondering now if maybe its just the rootstock I have growing.
Hybrid means

Hyrbrid= Seedling you will be fine as it is not a grafted tree.