Modular Stick Build Blind

Sconnie

5 year old buck +
It's Official, my big summer project is FINALLY completed.

On our family farm we have a small ridge that comes to a point overlooking the river bottoms. About 10 years ago I decided it was perfect for a blind and my grandfather and I built one out of left over materials. Fast forward to now and that blind is falling apart. Over the past few years this area has been planted in pines, spruce, shrubs, oaks, apples, a water hole and 3 1/3rd acre food plots. With this area and my construction skills getting better and better each year it was time to replace.

Here are a couple pictures of the current view from the old blind.

North West, Brassic Plot this Year
20170812_151726_HDR.jpg

North, Peanut Pond20170812_151733_HDR.jpg

North East, Clover/Chicory/Alfalfa Plot (Apple Orchard too) plus a hidden from view LC Plot
20170812_151738_HDR.jpg

Thanks to my lovely Girlfriend who took pictures while I was in "farm mode".

The plans for the blind were hand drawn on grid paper no less than 8 times to get everything just right. Being budget oriented everything was sized and cut for almost zero waste. Menards was my only supplier and it only took 3 trips to get everything I needed!

Basic sizing: 4x8' 8' Tall
2x3" studs used for cost and weight
1/2" foil foam insulation
1, 24x24" non insulated slider window
2, 24x36" non insulated slider windows
3/8" regular sheathing
32x82" Storm Door
Lots of construction adhesive and caulk
Rubber roofing
Mis-tinted Super Paint from Sherwin Williams (Great Paint!)

Over the past 2 months when time and weather allowed all 4x8' sections were built and painted at home and transported to farm.

We got the base in and level first then started throwing up walls (this went really fast with a brother to help, I'm the goon with caulk!)

20170812_142708.jpg
20170812_142725.jpg 20170812_142745.jpg 20170812_145304.jpg

Last edited:
Next were the windows. The are cheap windows that were white so I spent a Saturday at home Taping, Cleaning and Painting them. They went in really easy.

The roof was covered in pvc rubber roofing for now. I would like to put a steel roof on it in a few years.

20170812_145319.jpg 20170812_164657.jpg

Finally was the storm door which ended up being a lot of work. I framed the doorway just a tad too short and had to "trim" the door frame channels with a wire cutter... Should have brought the hack saw!

20170812_155517.jpg 20170812_161937.jpg

My crew enjoyed the fun step, rattle can camo! I think the fumes got to them though.

I was busy cutting shooting lanes and finishing the roof.

Overall I am very happy with the end result and even more happy we got it done.

20170812_171653.jpg 20170812_171705.jpg 20170812_171722.jpg 20170812_171734.jpg

CHEERS,

-Sconnie

Last edited:
Looks great. Lots of memories to come hunting out of there for sure.

Nice build. Like bueller said, many memories to be had there in the future years hunting. Well done for multiple reasons.

-John

You need to start a tradition.....every time somebody takes a deer from that blind you should have a sharpie in there to record their name, age and the date. Let them write it anywhere they want! After a few seasons you will look back and recall all the great hunts just by reading the info. I build all my tower blinds in a modular fashion as I build and install them all myself. Also a great way to teach the kids how to be handy with some tool sand the like as well!

Nice blind Sconnie!

every time somebody takes a deer from that blind you should have a sharpie in there to record their name, age and the date. Let them write it anywhere they want! After a few seasons you will look back and recall all the great hunts just by reading the info.

Man what a great idea! Now I'm upset we haven't been doing this for years..

The Sharpie idea is in. We have plenty of wall space for generations to come!

I am a tad worried about wind storms and may put in two ground anchors. The east, west, and north have some large red pines to break the wind and the south is protected by brush. In a few years once my tree and shrub planting gain height wind will no longer be a problem.

Glad you like the sharpie idea.

With your roof design as it is.....I would think you stand a better chance of it being pushed off the "foundation" more so than actually toppled over. A ground anchor or two could still be good insurance against that happening.

The Sharpie idea is in. We have plenty of wall space for generations to come!

I am a tad worried about wind storms and may put in two ground anchors. The east, west, and north have some large red pines to break the wind and the south is protected by brush. In a few years once my tree and shrub planting gain height wind will no longer be a problem.

Please don't go through all the work and expense of building and setting up a blind and not secure it. I've learned this the hard way and have been without for the past few seasons.

I am close to having all the materials in order though to have a new one built. I'm hoping to have it done by out youth season in mid October.

The simplest way to anchor it is with a couple 30" lengths of angle iron - something like 1/4" x 1.5" x 1.5". Put a point on one end and drill a 5/16" hole through one of the flats about two inches from the other end. Hold the side with the hole tight against the blind and drive it into the ground with a hammer. Then use a 1/4" lag screw to secure it to the blind. If things are dry when you do that, bring a couple of gallons of water along to wet the ground to make driving it down easier.

I have cable, eye hooks, cable clamps and turnbuckles at home. Going to pick up 4 screw in ground anchors today and put one on each side a foot or so out from the blind this weekend. Should be rock steady after that. I appreciate the input, ideas and shared experiences. Next stop land tour of "Trophy Doe Bottoms". Stay tuned!