Mod's to Tar River Saya No Till Drill

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
Pics of the mods I did today to my Tar River Saya

I installed the rest of my seed tubes that will drop the seeds on the ground behind the openers....or still can use the OEM method of dropping them in the trench. Cost was about $35 for clamp (from chain link fence department) 1/2 of a 90 degree electrical conduit, hose clamps and bolt assy. $35 total

Installed drag chains purchased from Agri Supply. Cost was about $85 with shipping and tax.

Moved level to the side I get out of my tractor. Duh! A level is a quick way to see small adjustments to my drill via the top link. Nice.

Added foam markers....as its hard to know where I been at times. Will finish tomorrow and post a few more pics.

Zip tied soem suitcase weights to the front weight tray. Looking for a better solution to attach.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    475.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 53
^ lol. I spent a half hour to explain in detail the above mods....and was about to add my pics. When I did so....this site dumped my work.....so I gave the cliff notes version above. Sorry....I tried. The pics tell the story anyway. Nite.

Edit: figured it would be nice to have these things all in one thread. Some info on Mod's is scattered about.

Last edited:
Finished mounting my foam marker kit to the drill today. Made a mount behind the top link to perserve space on the weight trays. I got two drop nozzles on either side of the drill that will deposit a blob of foam every 6 feet or so....if it works as said. Have not had time to test run it yet. Maybe tomorrow. Pretty straight forward mount.....if you got the right bolts and a place to put this.....grin. Last fall I had several areas where I had difficulty determining where I was on the last pass.....I'm hoping to get rid of those "dead zones".

Last years rye and clover looks pretty good. I got about ten acres that pretty much looks like these pics. Long plots...were rifle hunters. Likely will plant summer release or buckwheat tommorow.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    546.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    727.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    827.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    394 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for sharing this information and experience. I am considering a SAYA drill in the coming days, and these posts help me to know what I would be getting into (potentially) to make the drill work for my needs.

Today was (finally) a day to plant my GCC Summer Release and a Buckwheat / Sunflower Mix. I'm going to try to comment below each pic via an edit.....after I load the pics. Give me about 15 minutes. IMG_0300.JPG
So I bought a pair of long storage tubs at Mills fleet farm. I think these are made for under the bed storage....and figured they would work well for calibrating. They do. I was able to capture the seed from two openers in each tub....and that way I could easily see that they were throwing similar amounts. Quick way to double check your work.

IMG_0293.JPG
I was planting a buckwheat and sunflower mix on some poor ground that just needs to get some biomass and green manure. Here is the seed in the hopper. Nothing important here. I also planted quite a bit of GCC Summer release after this seed. Used this to get the bugs our of my plans.
IMG_0299.JPG
this simple block of wood saves me some time as I can place it in the floor of the hopper.....add a little seed.....and it prevents the seed from migrating to the other seed cups. Handy item.

IMG_0283.JPG
I got a few different scales for different purposes. Always need to do some math when calibrating the drill. I like the small round scale the best for calibrating. Got if from Amazon for about $12 if I remember correctly. Has lots of good features....and weighs In lbs and oz or grams or ?? lots of choices. I use plastic Folgers cans for weighing and calibrating. Fit the scale nice.
IMG_0282.JPG
Another guy gave me this tip on calibrating (I think on the Facebook site for Tar River Saya?).....and it is a good one. Get a socket (I think its a #19 and turn that nut holding the rolling basket according to the distance needed in your calibration. The wheel is 45" in circumference......so you can then calculate the number of turns to go 200 feet......and do some math. I dont have my book with me....so do NOT trust my numbers given here....as my memory could be wrong. Do the work - write it down - and you can use the same math and factors over and over again. Far easier after you do it the first time. I am going to replace that sliding bar with a speed wrench next time I do this. I need to turn my wheel 52.75 revolutions to get to 200 feet.......in the direction shown by the arrow. grin.
IMG_0281.JPG
Another pic of the socket and T wrench. Plastic pans are positioned to catch seed. May try to come up with a thumb screw to speed up cap removal and instal. I get impatient.
IMG_0287.JPGHere is my tractor and drill in the rye / clover planted last fall. Clover must have been weak here....but it's pretty good in most places. I got about 6 acres planted today....and hope to mostly finish tomorrow. I got some wet spots and some other seeds I plan to try....but I am not in a rush to get those done. I got good moisture in my sand now.....so I want to take advantage of that.

All winter....I was concerned about that cereal rye wrapping in my drill.....as I had a few issues with that in my tiller in time gone by. Worry was for nothing.....as I had ZERO. Zip issues with wrapping. that basket worked nicely. I did manage to lose one of those chain assemblies.....and I am rethinking a better method of covering. Tho they were mostly trouble free. The connection point on those flaps is not the best. Trial and error.

Hope a few of these tips are time savers for others too. This method of calibration would rival that of the much touted RTP Drills....smile.

Last edited:
I took some pics of my foam marker.....but somehow got the wrong format? I did use it a few times....but mostly I could tell where I had been by the tire tracks and drill disturbance in the rye. Still there are many times I will flip the switch and it makes it easy to pick up where you left off. Kinda a fun addition to my drill.....and it works nice. I just plug it in to my accessory plug fourd on my Kubota and use the furnished accessory switch as needed. I filled the 2.5 gallon resivour about 1/2 full....and only used 1/2 of that today. Goes a long way. Sorry about lack of a pic. If I find another I will add later.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    794 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 356