MN Pear tree options?

You get lake effect weather it keeps temps warmer we owned a farm in UP around Iron River at one time.

You get lake effect weather it keeps temps warmer we owned a farm in UP around Iron River at one time.
I am east of Iron Mountain so we don't get any Lake Effect snow here - About 50 miles from Lake Michigan and 70 Miles from Lake Superior, but we do get colder weather - as much as 35 below zero actual during colder winters (probably very similar to Iron River). I lost all of my cherry trees during those brutal winters of 2012-2014.

Growing up -35 wasn’t that uncommon I have seen -40’s my mother got nervous that time and made us bring the horses in the walk out basement for a few days because we didn’t have an inclosed barn just an open shed. We would play outside during recess at -35 in grade school all seven of us in my grade.

I had noticed the variation in hardiness mad. Some use the 25 year map and some use older maps(mebbe 30 years).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one’s groovy.
Yeah pretty cool map. I find it interesting to pan around. Learn new things, like 5a dips all the way into northern MO... I always thought that was a hot state, lol. And Colorado Springs and Boulder are zone 6, who knew.

Swify - I am in zone 4A and have all 3 of those varieties of pears planted. They will just be starting their third growing season, and they look like they all survived a pretty harsh second winter. I also have a couple other varieties that I planted, one of which produced a couple of pears last year, in the second growing season, (Ure) and another that had a bunch on it until a late frost wiped them out (Early Gold). While I‘m still pretty new at this, I am pleased with what i have seen.

I have lost 3 trees, one of which was a Kieffer, which I expect is pushing it for my zone, and also a pair of Morse nursery hybrid pear trees, but I suspect that was self inflicted as I overwatered. I still have one of those remaining and it looks healthy, albeit small.

Here is a pic of one of the pears from the Ure tree, taken July 10th of last year………

Attachments

• 7780EFDB-68AE-4DF1-BC34-83050B802C33.jpeg
    7780EFDB-68AE-4DF1-BC34-83050B802C33.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 14
A guy in my community, has a small orchard on the edge of the city limits. He has a Luscious Pear and it’s loaded at times with Pears.

Western Mn-Zone 4…He babies his trees! I’ve personally never had much luck with Pears.

A guy in my community, has a small orchard on the edge of the city limits. He has a Luscious Pear and it’s loaded at times with Pears.

Western Mn-Zone 4…He babies his trees! I’ve personally never had much luck with Pears.

I got scion of luscious this year from fedco and got 2 grafts off it. Both are leafing out now. Do you know about when they start dropping? I haven't found a ton of info about them out there.

I got scion of luscious this year from fedco and got 2 grafts off it. Both are leafing out now. Do you know about when they start dropping? I haven't found a ton of info about them out there.

I actually don’t .. he had a full tree though !

Pears are a bit tricky sometimes, just double check the growing zones of the pears they are selling, we are a zone 4 and I constantly see zone 5 or 6 pears for sale up I’ll lol

My buddy in Zone 3a has a Luscious and Parker Pear and both are large trees and seem to do well in the cold. I have struggled grafting pears but I do have a few that made it.

I am in Central MN. 70 miles NW of St Cloud. I've grown pears for years. Have Ure, Kiefer, Douglas, Luscious, and Nova. The ussurian rootstock is the best/hardiest. I find pears easy to graft compared to apple. I have a big old Ure with ussurian rootstock that keeps pushing shoots up from the roots, I dig them out, taking a piece of the root with the shoot, makes great rootstock.

I am in Central MN. 70 miles NW of St Cloud. I've grown pears for years. Have Ure, Kiefer, Douglas, Luscious, and Nova. The ussurian rootstock is the best/hardiest. I find pears easy to graft compared to apple. I have a big old Ure with ussurian rootstock that keeps pushing shoots up from the roots, I dig them out, taking a piece of the root with the shoot, makes great rootstock.
When do the luscious drop?

About the middle to end of August. Luscious is a very sweet and reasonably medium/large pear, my old Luscious tree blew over in a windstorm a few years ago. I have new ones coming up but not producing yet. If all goes as planned this year I should have lots of Ure and at least some Nova. I'm axious for the Nova, supposed to be really good but I haven't had one yet.