Miscanthus screen

For any of you guys who have planted miscanthus will a single row work for a screen? I have several thousand feet that I want to screen off and don't know if switchgrass alone will cut it due to topographic dips and humps in the field.

Don't want to be a cheapskate on the rhizomes but I would rather wait a few more years for it to thicken then quadruple the price and amount of rhizomes for a multi row screen.

This is where I've purchased rhizomes a few times. They have good information on planting. I've been there a few times. I have no affiliation to this company.

I wasn't sure how it would do and I planted cedars in front of it the same time I planted the switch. In five years the cedars will have a wall up but the switch made it happen in 3 years

This is what I have done. This year will be year two, I’ll post pics later in 2023

How can I create the best screen possible on my hunting property?

For years Real World customers have been using Real World switchgrass to create screening cover. Now with Real World Giant Miscanthus you can combine the two tall grasses to create the ultimate screen. Start the fall before you intend to plant by creating a 12’-15’ wide seed bed where you want your screen. In late winter, frost seed Real World switchgrass into your seed-bed at a rate of no more than 4# per acre. As early as possible in the spring, plant 3 rows of Real World Giant Miscanthus in this same seed-bed. Plant the first row of miscanthus right down the middle of the seed bed and then a row 2’-3’ on each side of the middle row. Control weeds the first year by using an application of atrazine at a rate of 1-quart per acre as early as possible in the spring. If broadleaf weeds become an issue later in the summer, spray with 2-4D. Once established you will have the very best screen possible outside of a solid wall.

I wasn't sure how it would do and I planted cedars in front of it the same time I planted the switch. In five years the cedars will have a wall up but the switch made it happen in 3 years
That's funny I was gonna put a cedar row in as well at some point or another
This is what I have done. This year will be year two, I’ll post pics later in 2023

How can I create the best screen possible on my hunting property?

For years Real World customers have been using Real World switchgrass to create screening cover. Now with Real World Giant Miscanthus you can combine the two tall grasses to create the ultimate screen. Start the fall before you intend to plant by creating a 12’-15’ wide seed bed where you want your screen. In late winter, frost seed Real World switchgrass into your seed-bed at a rate of no more than 4# per acre. As early as possible in the spring, plant 3 rows of Real World Giant Miscanthus in this same seed-bed. Plant the first row of miscanthus right down the middle of the seed bed and then a row 2’-3’ on each side of the middle row. Control weeds the first year by using an application of atrazine at a rate of 1-quart per acre as early as possible in the spring. If broadleaf weeds become an issue later in the summer, spray with 2-4D. Once established you will have the very best screen possible outside of a solid wall.
I'll probably end up doing that with a single row of miscanthus and a block of switch Ill probably need at least 5-7k rhizomes for a single row to screen off some large ag fields

I'll probably end up doing that with a single row of miscanthus and a block of switch Ill probably need at least 5-7k rhizomes for a single row to screen off some large ag fields

If you order that many be sure to have a fork lift or something that can lift the large shipping bags off the truck. If ordering from maple rivers it's much cheaper to ship them via truck in large bags then it is in boxes.

I would rent a trench digger and make one long 4 inch deep trench for planting. I’ve planted about 1000 rhizomes by hand and let’s say it’s tough. Ha

This is how I've planted my miscanthus and then raked back over by hand.

We also used this to plant 10-12 thousand garlic cloves per year for several years. I would put 6 rows on at a time for the garlic.

1670982648190.png

This is how I've planted my miscanthus and then raked back over by hand.

We also used this to plant 10-12 thousand garlic cloves per year for several years. I would put 6 rows on at a time for the garlic.

View attachment 48105
Damm another project I dont have time to do! That is a very ,very good Idea.... Im going to borrow it Thanks for the tip - I owe you a beer or .... ten,

Looks good j-bird that's some substantial growth for 2 years nice. Funny about the switchgrass. Was actually thinking about doing a single row with a 10 ft border of switch. Most of my switch is 5-7ft at 2 year old and it seems to do the trick but only in flat land
Putting some switch into the mix until the MG fills out is a fine idea. I also agree in that switch works pretty well in flat ground but once you start getting elevation changes it tends to not be tall enough. The other thing you run into is areas that are either wet or shaded....switch and MG don't like those situations. In those cases I have to adjust a little bit. I have also transplanted cedars and even used vine honeysuckle on woven wire fence before. Multiple layers tend to help as well.....one row will work.....but an additional row will help that much more. On my screen in the pic. I am trying to screen without using any more ground than needed....so I have to be a little more patient.