Minimum Clearing Required For Orchard in the Woods

A2D2R2

Yearling... With promise
I plan on clearing land in the woods in order to add a few more fruit trees to my land. What is the minimum size clearing I should consider doing, if I want to ensure adequate sunlight and ensure the competition from the canopy of surrounding trees does not drown out my sunlight in a few years?

The answer would be partially based on the height of the adjacent trees since fruit trees do best when they receive full sun most of the day. I've planted a lot of apple trees in openings that were formerly woods and the apple production increases dramatically the further the tree is planted from the woods edge. I'd recommend planting trees at least 30 feet from the woods edge if you are trying to maximize production.

Fruit trees would need at least 7-8 hours of full sunlight. Less than that and you will impact growth and production. You could stake the eastern edge of trees when sun first hits forest floor and then time how long it travels before no sun getting through.

Afternoon light is better than morning. Soil temp is warmer.

This is in regards to oaks, but my experience has been, when you think you have enough light, double it.
I planted oaks a few years ago in what looked like wide open spots, but it still wasn't enough compared to out in a field.

One of mine thats questionably big enough maybe double this would be better so near 1/4 acre.

IMG_1656.jpeg

Last edited:
Both of these are near an acre in size .75 and .8 and they are large enough for several fruit trees. The minimum size of .15 to .25 acre opening are likely about as small as I can go in heavy canopy and get fruit trees to grow. IMG_1658.jpegIMG_1657.jpeg

Here is one that’s 1/4 acre but heavy shaded because of its orientation and lay of the surrounding land/trees IMG_1659.jpegIMG_1660.jpeg

I got a few spots up at camp with trees. A 1/4 acre foodplot maybe can handle 1 or 2 trees on the very north to get as much southern light. A good tip is to plnt in some shade, then around late juy early august, clear the shade. Did 2 I planted last fall 4th of july weekend. Maybe whacked a dozen 12-15ft tall young trees that were around them on the north edge of a foodplot.

I plan on clearing land in the woods in order to add a few more fruit trees to my land. What is the minimum size clearing I should consider doing, if I want to ensure adequate sunlight and ensure the competition from the canopy of surrounding trees does not drown out my sunlight in a few years?
I agree with the 7 or 8 hours of sunlight, but there is another issue in the woods that is also a factor. The roots of big trees extend far beyond the trees, and they literally suck all of the moisture out of the soil - especially in dry locations. They also take up a lot of space in the ground that can hinder a newly planted tree from being able to develop a good root system. You can have 7 hours of sunlight in some places but still have a struggling fruit tree due to the competition under the ground.

How long have you had fruit trees in those four spots, and what have the results been so far?
2 years on that small .13 acre opening it’s one Keiffer pear tree about 3 years on the .75 acre I have several apple and mostly burgamble oaks lining its sides I leave the center open to be able to food plot it the other two I don’t have planted much a few oaks along that .86 just across the new fenceline the other one is quite shaded and in one of our cattle pastures so I’ll likely never plant anything along its edges cattle destroy everything they come into contact with pretty much. I have a larger 12 acre planting on that farm that is fenced to keep out the cattle 60ish fruit trees 30ish chestnut 25 persimmon and many many oaks of different verities. So I’m not hurting for deer trees on that farm. When the fruit and chestnuts start producing I’ll likely won’t be able to chase the deer out with sticks of that deer orchard. One of the pears set a couple fruit this year in that large planting so I’m a few years out of real fruit production still give it another 3-4 years and it will be starting to make a difference in the deer herds nutrition and habits.

I have a dozen trees in 1/3 acre plot, but I’ve heavily feathered the edge year after year which makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk