All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Menards apple trees

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
Even though I initially decided not to plant any more apple trees at our place, I changed my mind last week. Menards in Rochester MN had some really nice apple trees (semi-dwarf based on expected size, but no root stock listed). The trees were probably 6-8 feet tall and the leaves were just starting to pop. I picked up a mix of 6 trees and hopefully they'll produce apples a few years earlier than the backbone trees I purchased from St. Lawrence Nursery last year. The SLN trees can't be beat based on lifespan and tree size, but I also like to throw in a few faster producing semi-dwarf trees to hold me over until the SLN trees start dropping apples.

The Menards trees were quite large for the size of the root wad, so I'm a little concerned that the roots might have trouble keeping up with the top heavy trees. I put a lot of leaves and old hay around each of the 6 new trees and hopefully that will keep moisture in the soil and also limit competition from grasses.

I forgot to mention that the trees were on sale for $20 each. I picked up a Cortland, Sweet 16, Snow Sweet, HoneyGold and 2 State Fair.

Ben -I have trees I got (wal-mart specials) and I had two of them fruit the second year I had it in the ground. I have since learned that I should have held out for Enterprise or Liberty's but I was young and dumb (only 2 years ago). I have not had any issues thus far that was not self-inflicted (bought some trees with poor form). I had to water them weekly (was the summer of 2012 when everything was dying). Somthing that I had to learn the hard way was keeping the weeds under control. I used mulch and that was a mistake as I had voles chew off the support roots around the tree and kill it. Since then I put down a weed barrier that allows water to pass,but nothing else. I then cover the fabric with gravel I got from the creek. This seems tworkalot better for me.

Ben, I have had good luck with the apple trees I purchased from Menards - no apples yet, this will be the third year, but they are growing nicely...;)

I planted these trees just a couple hundred yards from my house, so it will be pretty easy for me to give them some water during dry periods. If I can get them through the first summer, they should be good. It will be interesting to compare how these trees do versus the St. Lawrence Nursery trees I planted last year.

That's a good deal. I just went to the Menards in Burlington,Wi those trees are marked $59.

I was pretty impressed with how the $20 trees looked. I expected a Charlie Brown type tree, but these were really nice. They didn't have many varieties to pick from, but for that price I wasn't going to be too picky. I planted the specific early and late dropping trees last year from SLN, so these trees were just bonus trees that will hopefully produce apples a little sooner. I ran out of fenceposts and 6' deer proof fence, so in theory I should be done planting trees this year but I've said that before.