Maypop

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Or purple Passion flower has really gotten thick in two of my new plots. I’m not super concerned as these are brand new and expected issues. But I’ve never dealt with a maypop explosion. Do deer eat them? Doesn’t appear they are putting in dent in mine. Do they come back every year? I guess I need to plant something where I can spray them out next summer.
I’ve also had it explode on one of my job sites. Is there such a thing as a good year for maypop?
I need to tag The Godfather @Native Hunter
352738AA-8F6F-4EE2-8FE9-FBC685843C1A.jpeg

I have maypops all over my property. Yes, they do come back each year. I'm not 100 percent sure what eats the actual fruit, but something does. I have never seen deer browse on any of the vegetation though.

IMG_2171.jpg
It produces the most unique flower I've ever seen in person. The most beautiful and ugly picture I've ever seen! Lol

Yes, I know all about those things, and yes, some years are worse than others. Deer do not browse the vines or eat the fruit. This is what I have found personally, and also what Dr. Harper published in one of his presentations.

When I planted the native grasses, I had one 5 acre field where they came up like a plague. I talked to some different people about what to do, and a guy who sells different types of seed said that he sold the seed and would like to have them. He offered to send people to pick them, and I accepted. He sent 5 people, and they loaded two full sized pickups with pods to where the leaf springs were flattened out. Along with that they loaded a full sized horse trailer to where the pods were coming out the top. This was on 5 acres of land.

They can grow as an annual or a perennial vine depending on the weather conditions and competition. Regardless of that, you definitely want to keep them from getting viable seed or they will keep on coming back for sure. If you can get something to growing that will compete with them, it helps to control them.

Yes, you do need to spray them out like you said - just make sure you do it before they make viable seed.

Thank you. I guess I will hit it with 2-4db this weekend. It will smoke any peas and lablab but it will spare the vetch at least. No big deal though. Was going to terminate the end of august anyway.

There's an orangish red caterpillar that eats it around here........It'll just about defoliate it in late summer.

There's an orangish red caterpillar that eats it around here........It'll just about defoliate it in late summer.

That would be the Gulf Fritillary caterpillar. They space out on it.