Mature mast trees and vines.

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Every winter I go and chop the vines in my 50ft tall or so hickory and black walnuts. It's a mix of wild grape, poison ivy, and oriental bittersweet. The trees are healthier since I started doing this 5 years ago, but they seem to come back. Should I be cutting them another time of year? Treating the cuts with something? Or keep chopping them so they use their root energy during the grow season? I usually go in jungle only in the winter due to tick problems.

Treat vine stumps with Tordon RTU

Painting the cambium layer with a 50/50 mix of gly and diesel also helps kill them.

This time of year should be fine

Treat vine stumps with Tordon RTU
I believe Tordon has residual soil activity, and may harm your "good" trees. Check into Tordon before you use it. I'm pretty sure I read about Tordon's residual soil activity somewhere. Garlon (triclopyr) might be a safer choice. Researching before use saves headaches!! FWIW.

I have some english ivy growing on some apple trees whose vines at the base of the apple trees are about forearm thick...could i just put some straight round up (the kind you dilute from) on both the ascending and descending vines to help out the apple trees? Would this help kill it more quickly?

Last edited:
Derek -
If you're asking me - I don't know about how to treat vines safely that are growing ON apple trees. I'd suggest calling the county extension agent there. Explain what you have growing on your tree to them and see what they say. Some vines force little hair-like appendages to grow into the host plant (your apple tree) - and putting gly (Roundup) on the vine may allow the glyphosate to get into your apple tree.

The county extension office agent should be able to guide you on that question.

Derek -
If you're asking me - I don't know about how to treat vines safely that are growing ON apple trees. I'd suggest calling the county extension agent there. Explain what you have growing on your tree to them and see what they say. Some vines force little hair-like appendages to grow into the host plant (your apple tree) - and putting gly (Roundup) on the vine may allow the glyphosate to get into your apple tree.

The county extension office agent should be able to guide you on that question.
good call Bows...there are definitely some of those little hairy appendages growing and i dont want to hurt the host tree

Derek -

Those little hairy "roots" coming off the vines are called haustoria. I just looked it up. I knew what they DO - but couldn't remember the name of them. I don't know JACK about how to treat that situation. Try the county extension office ......... they'll know what to do.

Tordon RTU is soil active but in the amounts used to treat a stump has never been a issue in my experience.

Derek -

Those little hairy "roots" coming off the vines are called haustoria. I just looked it up. I knew what they DO - but couldn't remember the name of them. I don't know JACK about how to treat that situation. Try the county extension office ......... they'll know what to do.
I gave them a call and they wanted some pics so I will wait to hear from them and get them some pics..I think they want to make sure its not poison ivy (it isnt)...

Hack and squirt with glyphosate starting in mid summer. I did it with an english ivy that was all over a sugar maple right next to our house and it worked great. Obviously make sure you don't nick the good trees. You can also cut then treat the vine stub.

Hack and squirt with glyphosate starting in mid summer. I did it with an english ivy that was all over a sugar maple right next to our house and it worked great. Obviously make sure you don't nick the good trees. You can also cut then treat the vine stub.
I already may have done the hacking part...cutting off about a 3' section from about a foot off the ground up to 4'. I figured if I just dripped some gly onto both existing and exposed cut ends of the vine that would help...thank you!

No need to treat both cuts- just the cut with the roots. Glycol treated cuts work best late fall or winter when the sap is returning to the roots. In the Spring the sap flows up and pushes the glycol out.

I’d recut the stump if your going to chemically treat them more than 30 min after initial cut.

In addition to vine control I crown release my walnuts and oaks. Hickories I pretty much consider a crap tree and kill if they are interfering with the walnuts or oaks. Trouble with hickory is the nuts are useless to deer and probably turkeys they spread quickly because the nuts aren’t utilized by many animals. I do the same with ash and hackberry in my crown release program. I’ve been working hard on it this late winter it’s been about 15 years since I last crown released my walnuts. The vine control helps but crown release will give you a 25% faster growth rate for a decade.

In addition to vine control I crown release my walnuts and oaks. Hickories I pretty much consider a crap tree and kill if they are interfering with the walnuts or oaks. Trouble with hickory is the nuts are useless to deer and probably turkeys they spread quickly because the nuts aren’t utilized by many animals. I do the same with ash and hackberry in my crown release program. I’ve been working hard on it this late winter it’s been about 15 years since I last crown released my walnuts. The vine control helps but crown release will give you a 25% faster growth rate for a decade.
Bears in my area (NW CT) love hickory nuts. I can't believe they can crunch shagbark hickory nuts with their teeth... then run the shrapnel all the way through their system, but they do.

Bears in my area (NW CT) love hickory nuts. I can't believe they can crunch shagbark hickory nuts with their teeth... then run the shrapnel all the way through their system, but they do.
No bears where I am, that’s interesting that they eat them. My hickories are a smooth bark verity if they where the shag bark I’d keep some for bat habitat.

My hickories are a smooth bark verity if they where the shag bark I’d keep some for bat habitat.

I was not aware there was any connection between hickories and bats. Ya learn something every day. Good to know.