Maple tapping what do you use

tooln

5 year old buck +
What do you use for tapping. Pipe line, bag's, buckets? I'm thinking of putting in some pipe line next year.

My plan is to gravity feed via pipe/hose into a central collection container (like an IBC). I'll use pex or some other freeze proof and UV stable plumbing for the manifold and leave it in place year round. Some ball valves at the inlets should keep debris and bugs out. Then just collect and clean the taps annually before and after the season.

My land, and maple distribution are especially favorable for such a system.

I might try tapping next year. This year is out - too much else going on.

The line I'm thinking of will be left out year round. Plan to collect into a 275 tote, with several placed in stragtic locations. The first year will be an investment and a fair amount of work, the second year not as mush work and all profit. From what I am told the line/hose will last for up to 10 years. I'm not planning to boil it down but just sell right after collected.

I want to boil it, but I may end up subbing that out to my pro-sugar shacking neighbor.

I need to call him. Could be interesting to see his operation in action. :)

I use buckets purely for aesthetics. As a hobbyist, I'm not concerend about profit or time. I like the way buckets look. I like tapping trees and hanging buckets with my family. I like pouring sap from buckets into my gathering tank and I like the exercise gathering sap from buckets provides. And I really dislike the plastic lines. Couldn't stand to have all that plastic clogging up my woods.

Tree carp will destroy any plastic tubing left out.
It polyethylene a plastic of sorts. My BIL is putting some out as we speak. I'll see what the tree rats do to his before I go for it.

the reason I'm looking at a pipeline is cuz I would not be able to go out daily to collect with pails or buckets the only way I'd be able to do it to do it is the pipeline to get out there once every 3 or 4 days